teaching chickens to use their ramp, tricks?

I have been having the same problem with my new chicks also. They do come down from the coop on their own, just will not go back up on their own. I have to pick each one up and get them back in the coop at night. I tried the treat twice, didn't work for us. Last few nights I put them half way up on the ramp and tapped from behind them and even nudging a few of them til they made it totally in the coop. We haven't ever had a flock learn this slow how to get in the coop. I'm hoping they catch on soon.

I had a batch of chicks moved to the grower coop at 4 weeks, they stayed there for 2 weeks then I let them out by opening the hen door and they walked out on the ramp. Problem was at night, they didn't want to come in until I put on a light in the coop. The light is still there, on a timer that turns off 15 minutes after they get in. They would come up the ramp and parked themselves at the top without getting in because they couldn't see inside so the light worked like a charm

My Buff Orpington finally went into the coop on her own last night after over 2 weeks! She didn't exactly climb the ramp but flew up half way and fumbled her way up.
I had to consistently show her that sleeping outside in the run by herself was not OK, and I'm glad she eventually got it although it took her much longer than others. In my case, the youngsters were the first to get it, so just be consistent and give them some time.

Update. After so many weeks I got them to go up the ramp. I had to put their food in the coop. Now I am just working on getting them to sleep up there. They go up to eat but won't sleep up there.

Post a pic of the inside of coop?
Lots of light and ventilation up there?

Did they spend any time just locked in the coop only?

When mine were small and I moved them from the brooder to the coop, I moved the heat lamp there, too. They were accustomed to sleeping under the light, so I had no problem getting them into the coop when the sun went down: they just went to the light. after they feathered out, I unplugged the light after they had gone into the coop. Once they got used to sleeping in the coop, I removed the light altogether .... Getting them to use the roosts was trickier .....

Last edited:
Update. After so many weeks I got them to go up the ramp. I had to put their food in the coop. Now I am just working on getting them to sleep up there. They go up to eat but won't sleep up there.
I have a mixed flock of birds. When I first put them in the coop, I left them in it for 7 (days with food and water) before opening the pop doors to let them come down the ramps. After that amount of time, they naturally went back to the coop for food and to sleep. I had the same problem with them not using a ramp. They tried, but the slats were too far apart. The slats on the ramps had to be 3 to 4 inches apart for them at that age because their stride was shorter when they walked up and down. They can stay that close together as they grow. After that, they used it with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom