Teenage backyard flock owner.

Pi-Co

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2015
Michigan
Hi I am pretty new to chickens this being my first year. Me and my brother bought chickens while are parents away and we have loved them ever since. Our flock grew from 4 to 9 including 4 Rhode Island Red 4 white one (idk what kind brother got them and forgot the kind... typical) and one wild turkey. I have been looking around in this site for a couple of weeks and it has proved invauable. Thanks guys and I hope to have a great time with our little "experiment" with chickens which we now love. We have a 25 by 15 pen for normal days and an entire backyard when we are outside with them. Our chicken coop is a converted prefab playhouse with a ladder and hanging food and water.

It appears I made duplicate post some how and can't delete them sorry.

Before I get started I want everyone to know that if our parents did actually have a problem with them when they got home we had already made a contingency plan at a friends home who had already had a large flock and wanted more. It's been about two months since we got them. They are totally ok with it. In part because they assumed we would have had all of them dead in a week because we wouldn't take care of them properly. We have only had one loss :( (to the neighbors cat grrr). Our mom loves them even though she hated them at first she thinks they are the funniest cutest things in the world. Both her and I just love watching them (especially when they "fight" over things like bugs) Their naivety and innocence makes them wonderful. The best part was having my parents walk into our garage our mom first so she could bond and think about the cute factor before our dad came in. When he came in she immediately yelled at him to see if he said it was ok. Neither them nor or grandparents knew, but the rest of the town and the people they were vacationing with knew from social media and everyone kept a secret for a week. It was great.

Last edited:
Are parents were totally ok with the chickens mainly because my mom thought they would all die :( We have only lost one though (to the neighbors cat grrr) she has grown to love them through their innocence and naivety. She thinks they are relaxing and amusing to watch when they "fight" over bugs and treats. When we first got them out parents were on vacation and my brother posted pictures online everyone in town including people that were on vacation with them knew but, no one said anything. When our mom first saw them (seperated mom and dads viewing times to make sure mom got attached so dad wouldn't get rid of she accused him of allowing it before he even knew we had them which was hilarious) In case they did have a problem with the chickens though we had already has a contingency plan with a friend who already had a medium size flock to give them to him. These chickens were the best prank/gift ever we love them so much. Our parents were mainly just amused that we got them as a Mother's Day "gift" and mildly impressed we took the initiative to plan out our flock and make sure they were taken care of well.

Back
Top Bottom