Tell How Predators Got Your Chickens. Save Somebody Else From The Bad Experience

It was the dog.
ep.gif

Hmmm...some dogs get doggy boot camp and shock collars first..but mostly it's because they are domestic and everyone has one and alot of people let them roam loose, never thinking that little chihauhau/terrier is going to rabidly attack chickens, and I guess you can't discharge a firearm in a neighborhood either...

We love our dogs. They are our extended family. Some relatives need to be shot too but we give them a second chance. Everybody just needs to be aware

I have had several bird dogs that have been trained to be around "MY" chickens. If they have trouble you can hang a dead chicken around their neck for a few weeks - good aversion therapy. My latest encounter with a neighbors dog went like this: I have guinea fowl and they are nervous. What likely happened was the neighbor's golden retriever by chance ran up to our fenced chicken yard and startled the guineas. One flew out, the dog chased it down and had a nice meal. I kept finding guinea kills (piles of feathers) all over our field. Then one day I saw it happen and now the neighbor keeps her dog with her at all times.

We are still battling skunks and maybe another predator. Still adding wire to the coop and trapping.
score:
9 birds to 5 skunks - the skunks are still winning.

Well, I have a new predator. I have a missing hen, eenie - who could have gone broody, but have lost two older layers in a week they went missing between 11 and 4 pm. I heard something walking along the edge of the woods...not very big. My dogs took off after it. Lucy yelped but had no wounds.,I don't think anything will stand and fight three American mastifs, and whatever it was fast fast. Any guesses? One more clue...the hens like to circle the pasture, open ground. With the generator running I heard nothing from the roosters...oh, finally got power back on, so now I can listen.

Back
Top Bottom