Tell How Predators Got Your Chickens. Save Somebody Else From The Bad Experience

we have a yard 30 x 30 with camper coop in it fence in ground a lot all the way around, we have a picture of the fox so we know that is who did it, got in under the gate we even had a board in the ground but it dug till it was under the board, got 8 hens and was out there at about 4:45 by way of the camera time, one of the hens they had but it got away, her back had no feathers and her wings are not there, I but her in our rabbit cage it took 3 weeks before I could put her back in the coop, what happened was we left the coop door opened so the chickens could get in and out in the morning, the big door was closed, that fox went into the little door, looking at the size of the fox w wonder how it fit in there,
now they have to wait till we get out to open the door, hen still has littler wings

We had eight fine Dominique pullets. And we had gotten quite used to letting them out every morning to free range and be chickeny ( We know its not a word). The truth of the matter is we had gotten complacent, see we had a dog when we gotten the chickens and he was always home. But our poor dog was old and passed away. So we where quite stricken with the loss.
But we still had to let the girls out every day. What I had not realized was how much he had done for us in predator deterrence just by being there. As I said we let our chickens out and I went to work as normal. My wife was usually home so I didn't think anything of it. Except for one day she went into town and I was at work and a fox got to our hens. The time was just about 5 PM. She had gotten two of our smallest pullets.
So knowing there was a fox (I looked it up and I had seen a grey flash)we did not let them out for a few days. So that weekend I was home working outside so i figured it would be OK to let the girls out as I would be out there. Well that only works if your out there most of the time. Having read a large dog or persons presence will keep a fox at bay, I figured we where safe. But I got sidetracked and didn't get back out for sometime.
When i did get out I found five of my remaining six huddled together and our Primary Henny Penny gone. So I learned two very important things, your primary hen or rooster will try to draw the predator away from their charges and you are only a deterrent if your almost always out there.
So now since we are still without a guardian animal the chickren only come out when some one is there to be with them. We have it worked out with our chickens that I am their guardian and that if I need to go in or leave they go back into their coop affectionately called Fort Cluck.
So in closing loosing chickens is a heart breaking experience. Knowing the fox was only looking to feed her kits makes it understandable but still pain full. And at the end of the day we are our chickens keepers so we must be vigilant. A guardian animal or just a reliable dog are your best deterrent other than yourself. And remember over engineer your coop. Its your first and last line of defense. Yes hardware cloth is pricey but the peace of mind is priceless.

Sorry for the length but I wanted to share all the pertinent facts we had so painfully learned.

Great info! We had a hen disappear the other day when were work out working in the barn. We didn't see or hear a thing, so I'm not 100% sure what happened, but I'm fairly certain the coyote that we've seen in the pasture took the hen. The coyote clearly has little fear of humans as it keeps coming back even after having been shot at several times and will come right up to the barn during daylight with people outside. With the abundance of wildlife around here (deer, rabbits, grouse, etc.) they coyotes don't need to be hunting in the neighborhood. The neighbor has lost several ducks recently. I agree that a coop needs to be over engineered. Unfortunately my chicks do not have a large run so they are free range. Maybe we'll have to get a dog???

It seems strange to me how reticent people seem to be to use electric fence. It's cheap to set up, and remarkably effective, and it's perfectly safe. Not pleasant at all, but safe.

A buddy of mine installed a 6' chain link fence with a buried wire mesh apron, three strands of barbed wire at the top, and covered the entire run with bird netting. The raccoons went right through the barbed wire at the top, made a hole in the bird netting and killed five ducks. He installed an electric fence with enough joules to stop a bull. He still catches them in the traps, but no further incursions into the run.

If/when I switch from a tractor to a fixed coop and run, I'm going to ease up on the fortifications and add electrification. I can understand some folks reluctance to have electric fences though. If you accidentally touch a properly installed one with a big energizer it will absolutely ruin your day!

Yes coyotes are cunning and generally fearless, smart too. Yes even all that wild life is there but your chickens require less work for more gain. So there are several options you can explore. Trapping and shooting are not good ones. After 150+ years of that coyotes are more smarter and found in more places than ever before. Here are a few of my recommendations.

I am not averse to an electric line or fence. properly installed and monitored they are great. Also DC is not harmful to us or animals. But lets take that with a grain of salt, yes. Its won't kill you but depending on the amperage can really hurt. So if you have a dedicated run or area electric is the way to go. There are now electric movable fences that some people I know are using with good results.

Yes a dog is a good addition to we countrified folk. But this comes with a serious warning, your dog can be your greatest asset or your worst predator. Which way it goes falls on you. Personally I suggest a good working type dog, a herder, a guarder or a mix there off. Our dog was a random kinda mutt, only thing we knew is his father was a big black Chow/Lab or retriever mix. So he took our chickens as another weird addition to his pack. Like the cats and the kids.
The other one was a Terrier/Dalmatian mix. So both dogs where energetic vigilant outdoor dogs. You can use a herding type as a protector/controller but this requires more training. Or a guard type that is introduced to the flock at young age can be an imbedded protector. Or for that matter any large dog that won't go after your chickens but hangs around the house will work.
And those are the simplest to train, if he or she eye balls your chickens. Simply step between them, get his attention and tell him, No. Sternly no need to yell or anything after a few times he gets ah those are yours. So then he simply goes back to doing what dogs do. Guarding their home territory which happens to include your chicken yard.

The other options are, geese, lamas, alpacas, donkeys and burro's. And of course there is the ever vigilant and loud, Guinna hen or a pea fowl.

Last edited:
My husband and I arrived home Sunday to find 7 dead chickens including our rooster. Five of them were in the coop and 2 of them were laying in the yard outside the coop. Evidently something killed them however there wasn't any bite marks or blood on them. Feathers were scattered everywhere. We have no idea how something got in/out of the coop except the fencing had be pushed out from the bottom. There appeared to be large canine-type paw prints all around the coop as well as muddy paw prints all over our carport. We are thinking it may have been a dog or coyotes but wouldn't coyotes carry the birds off and mutilate them? Any ideas?

Sorry to hear about your birds RJ. :(

If you suspect a canine, I would say dog based on what you describe. The times the neighbor's dog has come into the yard she tore feathers out. Fortunately my chickens got away since I was in the barn and chased the dog away. The coyotes will take chickens and leave no trace - just pick them up in their mouths and pack them off. Same thing with feline predators (bobcat, cougar, etc.)

I believe raccoon will also tear apart the birds and leave parts in the yard. They have more of a "hand" type footprint though.

Saw a badger in the neighbors field, about 25 ft away from my free-ranging chickens. My husband and I were both outside and saw it and made noise so it took off. Chickens were completely oblivious of the danger;) Lol ! I locked em back up int the very secure coop and run area. I am amazed the creature came so close in broad daylight!
Any suggestions what we should do.? Is it possible the badger passed by unaware of the chickens?

We are experiencing some rogue coyotes that come to the house during the day and steal chickens. We are building a run to keep them in when no one is home. Not what I had planned to do, but I'd rather they be safe than preyed upon.

Unfortunately I'm a VERY slow builder. The run probably won't be done for another week. Meanwhile, I have to go to work. I'm planning to leave a radio on in the barn so it sounds like there are people lurking about. Has anyone had any luck with a radio keeping daytime predators away?

We also tried the urine marking strategy. Our property is just too big and we can't cover enough trees. LOL Poor chickens!

Back
Top Bottom