Tell How Predators Got Your Chickens. Save Somebody Else From The Bad Experience

Coons are a serious problem. Their numbers are out of control in many areas if not most areas. Not many natural predators who prey on coons. Hunting and trapping them has declined. So the numbers go unchecked. Don't hesitate to take out a problem coon. It is more humane than rabies, distemper, or starvation the method mother nature uses to control populations of unchecked animals in the wild.

Sallysec, I lose em all the time. It is hard to get used to, and i am steeled to counting and/or looking frantically for my favorites ( although I do always look for my best hens with relief when i see them) my chickens free walk truly, and although loses are a total part of that, natural selection gives me a basic strong flock, ones that aren't likely to become victims of predators or disease, and require little intervention from me. So its a trade off. :/

Who needs to invent a better mousetrap...
lau.gif

had 10 that i let roost in trees then 1 missing in 2 weeks 4 left then i would sit and wait well 3 owls were doing it they would fly next to the chickens push them off then eat them

had 10 that i let roost in trees then 1 missing in 2 weeks 4 left then i would sit and wait well 3 owls were doing it they would fly next to the chickens push them off then eat them
Surprised we don't hear that more often. Chickens who roost in trees seem like easy targets for owls.

We live on 3 acres right outside of town. I went home for lunch at 1130am today like I do every day. I saw a strange dog in the goat pen. Then I looked-dead chickens everywhere. I did call 911. The police officer said they would look for the dog. We had about 70 chickens free ranging. I only found about 15 alive chickens. Rounded them up and put in the pen and shut the door. I did note that a few were "missing". Do you think if any more are alive they will "come home" to roost this evening? We were afraid to try to process them because we did not know if there was something wrong (with the dog that killed them) or not.

Back
Top Bottom