Tell me about Guinea's

NicInNC

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
If I'm lucky enough to not lose a bunch of chickens to just one sick one, then this summer, I would like to have a guinea to get rid of ticks, ants, etc.

How are they about staying on your own property though (if I have an acre)? How much space do they need? Do they pretty much have the same "rules/guidelines" as other chickens?

They are nothing at all like chickens and will travel further. They can fly like nobodys business and will sometimes attack chickens, especially the roosters. Mine were raised with chickens, but eventually I had to rehome them due to violent attacks on my RIRs (They must have hated red, LOL) and my rooster. I miss them, but if you expect them to be mild mannered and just fit in, you may be disappointed. Below is a pic of my alpha male, Dodger, attacking my flock rooster:
DCP_5039.jpg

THEY ARE LOUD!

I only had my Guineas for about 8 or 9 months so not long enough to give real, solid advice. Speckledhen had hers far longer so listen to what she said.

But I can tell you some things I observed in that short time period...

I raised my Guineas with my chicks from day one. My Guineas stayed with my chickens ALL the time.. they roosted with them every night in the coop and free ranged with them every day. The closest trees to me are about a 1/2 mile away. Many Guineas will chose to roost in trees if they are nearby, some choose to roost in a barn or on a roof or some such place.

You want to keep them locked in their overnight housing for at least 8 weeks before letting them outside... that MAY help them learn to go back there to roost at night. Mine always went back to the coop to roost but again, I didn't have them that long - they may have quit that behavior in the future.

My Guineas taught my chickens to fly over the six foot run fence! However, once they were rehomed only a couple of my chickens have continued to fly out every morning... before I open the gate and let them free range.

Because they were SO LOUD all the time my dear hubby just couldn't handle the noise and thus I rehomed them. I do miss them but it is nice to walk outside and hear... nothing!

I sure am glad that I asked because I had no clue that they were so vocal. I don't know anything about guineas, but what little you all have told me, there is no way I can get one where I live. My neighbors would have a fit.

Oh well. Maybe one day. I'm still hoping to be able to sell this house and move within the next 10 years to a place with several acres.

Uhmmm Loud comes to mind
smile.png

I only have one. She thinks she is a chicken. The man we got her from (we were there to get all his chickens he didn't want) had a flock of guineas and this one would stay right with the chickens and sleep with them too. So, we brought her home with the chickens since she apparently is a chicken
roll.png
LOL

I haven't had any trouble with this one wandering away. She ( I say she, I don't know if it is a he or she) stays right with the chickens at all times. Goes back in to roost at night with the chickens. She is loud though and she will start her loudness whenever something is going on in the yard.

Fast, boy is she fast! I can throw out a handful of bread crumbs and she can get most every one before any chickens even grab ONE! LOL And catch her? Nope....she is fast.
smile.png
I like this one guinea but I do not think I would like more than one.

My GF (Guinea Fowl) stay with the chickens at night. In the day they wonder a bit further than the chickens, but always come back to the barn to roost.

They are constantly on the alert, they are loud, they fly when startled or when they want on a roof. They alway stick together in groups of 3 or more.

The females will forage by themselves, but they are continually doing the "buckwheat, come back" double syllable call to see where the others are and they always respond.

Mine are very tame, but I must tell you that I have seen them get down right mean and nasty with each other and they will NOT back down from my roos.

The chickens know their distress call and when I hear it I look for a predator. It is usually the local hawk family cruising. I have had considerably less problems with hawks now that I have a few "french" Guineas.

Oh, I love my GF, but i consider myself lucky. i raised almost all of mine from babies.

We have four guinea that we have raised from keets. We house them with our ducks. Ours don't go far because we let them out to free range only when we are out so we can keep an eye on them. They are easily herded back to coop. Our girls lay their eggs in coop too, so I know where to find them. If you are worried they will go too far and your yard is fenced you can have their wings clipped and they can't fly over fence. We haven't chosen to do that, but friends of ours have, and all her birds are fine. They can be loud, as others have mentioned, but usually for a reason. My neighbors say they don't bother them. I ask constantly, because I want to stay on good terms with the neighbors. We love our guineas. They are such funny birds.

Back
Top Bottom