Tell me Jersey Giant rooster experiences?

WolfGirlMagic

Songster
5 Years
Nov 9, 2017
SO...
It has finally happened... we got the short straw of the sexed pullet box.
I think my jersey giant chick is a cockerel.(lie to me and tell me its just a pretty, masculine girl!)
Meet Black Betty... i am disappointed the one with the best name needa to be renamed... or maybe he will keep it just because.
My worry is, this young rooster will be cared for primarily by my mother, and i really dont need her being flogged, harrassed, or otherwise abused by a chicken. I dont want to rehome him and would love to have a NICE rooster.
Is this breed generally well behaved?
He is becoming more independent for sure, but i try to handle all my chicks everyday.
They get picked up and put in their house for the night. I always do him last to maybe train him a bit to put the girls away himself when he is older. I am gentle but firm. I dont chase him. I wait for him to come to me to be put up, and dont set him down unless he is calm. Otherwise no coddling. Any other hints to help me keep him nice, and hopefully more enjoyable as a petish quality bird?. Being all business with my flock simply because of a roo would be exhausting, and my mother needs to be able to enjoy the birds too.

Attachments

• 27249098_1592359130761.jpg
    27249098_1592359130761.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 10
I've heard they're great, but I've only had experience with one. Godzilla. Over 2 ft tall 15 pounds and almost 3 in spurs of the best rooster we've ever had! He had frostbite on his comb before I traded for him, so it had been dubbed. He looked like he was wearing a beret! Handsome, smart and brave. He's the reason I want more of them, and I will one day.

Back
Top Bottom