Temp Flux and humidity for "dry hatch" in Hova Bator 1583

DragonEggs

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Borger, TX
A lot of people are really boasting about this "dry hatch". I haven't incubated in a couple of years and pulled my incubator out for this recent batch of eggs I just had shipped. The eggs have been sitting at room temp for a couple of days while I'm trying to get the temp steady in the incubator. I'm running a humidifier in my bedroom where the incubator is and I have an external temp/humidity gauge hanging over the incubator that says the humidity is between 20-30% (it's VERY dry here in TX!) and my humidity in my incubator has been holding at 20%. It's a forced air with only 1 vent and plug and a hole over the fan. Everything I've read says to keep the plugs out til day 18 then put them in to keep the humidity up, so my vent plug is currently out. The humidity is holding but the temp keeps fluxing from 98.4-102 on my digital gauge. I have 3 standard mercury thermometers in there and 1 is reading at about 98, another about 102, and the third reading about 100.
Should I leave the temp as it is or adjust the wafer (up or down?) and should I add just a bit of water to the center tray? Maybe put the plug back in?

My custom built hatcher fluxuates two to three degrees 98-102 you should be fine. These are allowable temps. You will find that the eggs in the higher temp will hatch early or mine does anyway. As for the dry hatch thats what i do. No water at all in incubator( forced air) then when they go to hatcher temp is 97-100 with 70% + humidity they pop right out

Hi, I am currently infused in a chinese goose eggs project, and I don't have a hydrometer, or a humidifer, so I need basic knowledge.
Okay, the humidity on the first day is precisely 55*F, I don't know how to do that, how many water troughs will I need to fill up to get to that goal. Its a hova bator still air edition, geese egg ratio is 12 and a half doz, all in one bator.

My 1583 holds temps very well until the room temp changes drastically..Today the temp got up outside and in the evening when the sun was beaming on the backside of the house the temp in the room where my incubators went up drastically..The temp jumped from 99.8° ish' to 101.6° in no time..No central air stinks....

Dragon it's hard to stabalize empty air. Figure if it's dipping 98* and peaking 102* then the average temp is 100*. After you get the eggs set & warmed up the temp swings will settle down, probably swinging 99*-101*. Only the air is changing temp, the eggs are maintaining a steady 100*.
You will notice that when a storm passes over or the weather changes, like it does here every 3 days, the change in barometric pressure affects a wafer thermostat. Nice weather makes it run about 1* cooler an bad weather makes it run about 1* warmer.
But you probably know all that already.
I'm on the coast where it's high humidity so if I use the water channels it creates excessive humidity. I just disregard the water channels and use a 1"x1" square piece of wet kitchen sponge and that maintains around 40% humidity. I could use a 1/2" x1/2" sponge for 20% but the sponge dries too darn fast. The 1" sponge lasts about a day & a half before it needs refreshed.
Usually it's red plugs installed until hatch time, then the plugs are removed so the new chicks will have air to breath during lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom