Temp.

dmwalker1999

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 1, 2012
Hello. I live in south central Oklahoma and we have been having 100 degree weather everyday and I was wondering what ways I can cool down my chickens. Thanks for the help.

Hello,

I also would like an answer to this question. I live just east of OKC and the temp hit 112 yesterday. I currently have my birds completely in the shade and I have a fan running on them to keep air moving. I have three water sources out for 4 birds. But I wondered about doing more.

When it gets very hot like this, I will sometimes hose my horses down with tepid water. I'm not proposing that for the chickens, but I wondered about misting them a bit.

I am very new to keeping Chickens - like two weeks new - so I am anxious to read other answers to this question.

There have been several good posts on this problem with a lot of good suggestions. We are in NC and have had record temps this summer as well. There have been a few days I felt like I was fighting for my girls lifes, but they have come through just fine. The first and foremost thing is water, water, water. I have put frozen water bottles in their big waterer and ice cubes in the little waters that are spread throughout their runs, frozen cubes and sections of watermelon, cantelope ect in the afternoon has been a big hit and you can see them actually refresh after eating it. Watch the amount of carbs they get, not a good time to give them bread and crack etc. I have a couple of old aluminum pie pans that I set out on 'pavers' with ice in them, they have hunkered down on them like cold nests, also frozen 2 liter soda bottles laid on their sides, they stand on them, or next to them. Mine will not tolerate a box fan anywhere near them, but have plenty of air in the coop and run. During July, every plastic container I could find in the house had frozen water in it and was set out for them...a couple in the coop as well to help cool a spot or 2 down. Plenty of drt dirt to wollow and dust bathe in, shade of course and I did 'hose them down' (mist) a couple of times. The humidity is so high here, so I don't know how much good that actually does. But basicly, ICE and watch what they eat, keep it to water based plant material for treats ect. Also electrolites in their water although the watermelon may be just as good. There is a lot of good discussion about that in older threads. As much as they looked like they were suffering (and it would break my heart) they know pretty well what they need to do and will do it. I never thought I would consider a 95 degree day as a relief! The girls have gotten to the point where they don't even get a feather ruffled until it hits about 98-100. It has been a tough way to get started in chicken keeping!

Cool water just deep enough for them to wade in cools them off really well, too.

Back
Top Bottom