Temperature Question for 6 day old ducklings

LuckyDucky4

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have been hanging out on BYC for the past month or so gathering all the information I can so I would be ready when my Pekin babies arrived last Thursday. I just wanted to say this site has been great and so informative. Thanks everyone!!
smile.png
I have done tons of reading on setting up the brooder properly and the correct temperatures, etc. and so far all 4 babies seem to be doing well. My question is the brooder is currently at 25 degrees (77 farhrenheit) and they seem the most comfortable around that temperature. I did have it set warmer for them (around 32-34 Celsius), but they seemed too hot and were starting to pant a little bit. They are set up in my spare room in the house, so no drafts or drastic temperature changes or anything to worry about... I had a 100watt brooder light set up, but it puts out too much heat so I turned it off, I have just a standard 60 watt bulb I can use if I need to, but not sure if I should add more heat when they seem happy at this point?? I don't want to cook them, but I don't want them getting chilled either. Is 25 degrees too cold for them at this stage??

WelcometoBYC.gif
. In this heat if they seem comfortable I wouldn't bother adding heat except at night. My ducklings never seemed to like higher temperatures either

Sounds like you are doing very well, and welcome to Duckdom!

There are many good recommendations, and I feel that the proof is seeing the duckings thrive.

If 25C works for them, stick with it! I don't know which hemisphere you are in, but if it is getting colder where you are, just mind the temps closely. And bravo for having a thermometer! Sometimes it is not an option, but when possible, especially at first, I like having a good idea about temperatures.

I had three lamps and would turn them on and off as needed. Dry bedding required fewer lamps on. Wet bedding could drop the brooder temperature by 10F.

Thanks for the Welcome, and for easing my mind
big_smile.png
Great to know my ducklings aren't the only ones that don't like the higher temperatures that are recommended. I was worried they might get cold, but it felt "wrong" putting more heat on them when we have been having record highs here...I'll keep an eye on the temps tonight and if I need to add heat I'll try the smaller bulb.

No worries, I will definitley let everyone know how things are going! I am already so attched to the little things it's rediculous!
roll.png
Sheldon still seemed warm earlier, even with everything in the room off, so I brought him downstairs to cool off some...right now everyone seems content. Thanks for the advice!!

Here's a pic of them when I went in earlier to check the temperature...not sure what it is, but they love the thermometer. Lol, I usually have to move at least one of them to see it.

Back
Top Bottom