Temps over 100F am I being crazy or conscientious?

sane cat lady

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
Today the temperatures are supposed to skyrocket to over 105F and my Blue and Black English Orpingtons usually look Hot when it is in the 80s, I was thinking of making a small shelter and bringing them into the air-conditioning for the day in my living room, I have a large sterilite tote 45g and i will cut out the lid and put plastic mesh in its place just like my brooder. am I being crazy or just making good choices?

I'm thinking this is not a good idea. If they are in the air conditioning for one day, it will be a shock for them to go back into the heat. I would just provide good air circulation - a box fan works well. Also, bags filled with ice is also good, my chickens lay on them and are as cool as a cucumber. Refrigerated fruits/veggies will give them some cool to munch on. My flock loves frozen mixed vegetables. Putting ice and or electrolytes help too.

My fridge has an ice maker that deposits the cubes into a tub in the freezer. They get stale after a bit, so I put the ice in shallow tubs for the chickens to lay against and stand in. The frozen milk jugs are a good idea. Frozen fruit helps too.

Last edited:
Humidity is also an important.

Can you place a piece of carpet in with birds and for today simple saturate it with water. They can stand on it to dump heat though their feet. Make certain it is in shade. For subsequent hot days place a big chunk of ice on it as indicate by another poster. Ice need not be added until about noon when temperature most high.

Back
Top Bottom