Ten Newly-Hatched Emu Chicks in My Garden

briefvisit

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 9, 2013
The ‘Planet Rothschildi’ project has a sort of ‘fluidity.’ For example, Tooshtoosh brought his first clutch here three years ago. The last of those chicks, now a young adult female, was here this morning.

Now, Tooshtoosh has been away since last autumn; and this is where the fluidity comes in: he is a successful Dad. He left (after he ditched his clutch) last autumn.

So, would he ever return? With chicks? And add data to the project?

Well, this morning, Tooshtoosh rolled up with a clutch of ten newly-hatched chicks.

This is the seventh clutch of chicks we’ve had a chance to observe. Eric the Emu brought five clutches here. His last clutch, nine chicks, included Tooshtoosh. So these chicks are the second lot of Eric’s grandkids. The project is over fifteen years old.

Supreme Emu, Lake Muir, Western Australia

My 'garden,' Eva, is connected to the 50 miles of National Park to the south.

The project is long-standing. The 'back yard' is now largely sans fences. And a farm-house such as mine has a 'house-clearing.'

So the environment contains wild emus and tame-wild emus interacting without any understanding that they 'are at my place.' Several will walk through the car port. The tame ones come into the 'back yard' and up to the garden. The fully wild ones rock about the house-clearing.

SE

My 'garden,' Eva, is connected to the 50 miles of National Park to the south.

The project is long-standing. The 'back yard' is now largely sans fences. And a farm-house such as mine has a 'house-clearing.'

So the environment contains wild emus and tame-wild emus interacting without any understanding that they 'are at my place.' Several will walk through the car port. The tame ones come into the 'back yard' and up to the garden. The fully wild ones rock about the house-clearing.

SE
I’m sorry, I didn’t understand that they’re wild emus. I’m from America, so we don’t have situations like that :).

'Planet Rothschildi' seems to be unique.

I seem to be the only person observing emus in the wild.

Supreme Emu, Lake Muir, Western Australia

Tooshtoosh turned up yesterday. Third visit. Four chicks missing.

This is the biggest loss the project has ever suffered, except perhaps the death of Eric and several chicks years ago.

Tooshtoosh is a competent Dad. Four of five of his first clutch survived.

Let's watch and wait.

SE

Back
Top Bottom