Terra vet 10

How do you treat respiratory illness?
I let the virus run it's course and use topical products like Vicks Vapour Rub or Vet RX to assist with breathing issues. Plenty of ventilation/fresh air/clean bedding and water etc. If you must use an antibiotic, then it is best just to treat the birds that are really struggling with the symptoms and are deteriorating or not improving, but a virus outbreak will typically take several weeks to settle down.
Do you know which respiratory disease you are dealing with?
Many will reoccur because the virus stays with the chicken for life and outbreaks are triggered by certain conditions or stress.

I'm quite surprised you were able to get an antibiotic like this without a prescription. I thought the new laws were supposed to prevent this, although I appreciate that there are always ways and means! I had wondered if the law might make it difficult enough for people to think twice about antibiotic use and only resort to it if absolutely necessary but I guess that when people have been so used to buying it and using it like paracetamol, it is a hard habit to break. It is probably a cultural thing. Here in the UK we need a prescription for them and always have, so they are very much a last resort and I think, whilst it makes it expensive when you really need them because it involves a vet, you at least get the appropriate one for the infection you are dealing with and don't use them if you don't need to. We all pay the price for antibiotic resistance and it can be a very high price for some people.

I let the virus run it's course and use topical products like Vicks Vapour Rub or Vet RX to assist with breathing issues. Plenty of ventilation/fresh air/clean bedding and water etc. If you must use an antibiotic, then it is best just to treat the birds that are really struggling with the symptoms and are deteriorating or not improving, but a virus outbreak will typically take several weeks to settle down.
Do you know which respiratory disease you are dealing with?
Many will reoccur because the virus stays with the chicken for life and outbreaks are triggered by certain conditions or stress.

I'm quite surprised you were able to get an antibiotic like this without a prescription. I thought the new laws were supposed to prevent this, although I appreciate that there are always ways and means! I had wondered if the law might make it difficult enough for people to think twice about antibiotic use and only resort to it if absolutely necessary but I guess that when people have been so used to buying it and using it like paracetamol, it is a hard habit to break. It is probably a cultural thing. Here in the UK we need a prescription for them and always have, so they are very much a last resort and I think, whilst it makes it expensive when you really need them because it involves a vet, you at least get the appropriate one for the infection you are dealing with and don't use them if you don't need to. We all pay the price for antibiotic resistance and it can be a very high price for some people.
Thanks for the helpful info. Definitely makes sense and appreciate your time and helpful tips

Sorry if I sounded like a bit of a grump :oops:. Don't mean to be, just antibiotic overuse is something I feel quite passionate about.

No you’re fine, i didn’t rhink you were grumpy. Lol
i wouldnt of used it but a friend that I consulted said it was what i should do and not havimg dealt with this before i took her advice. I’m all for natural ways and/or alternate things. I don’t usually jump so quickly meds but I really didnt know what was best. They seem to be responding to it so iguess that’s good.

Some of the most common respiratory illnesses seen in chickens are Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza and ILT. I'm not that familiar with duck illnesses, but it does look like some respiratory illnesses affect more than one species (chickens, turkeys, duck, geese, etc.) Without knowing what illness you have, it's hard to know whether or not your ducks will contract it. To be on the "safe side" assume that they can, until you have more information about the illness that you have. I would also think that treatment may be a little different for ducks too. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Respiratory illnesses are transmitted from bird-to-bird, through dust/dander/feathers, mucous/discharge, coughing, sneezing, feces, shared water/food, on the wind, on clothes/shoes/cages and some like Mycoplasma are also transmitted through the egg.

Antibiotics will usually treat secondary infections from respiratory illness, but will not cure the disease. Mycoplasma responds fairly well to treatment, but Infectious Bronchitis is viral, so unless there's complications, it usually has to run it's course. Do some research/reading on various diseases, about carriers and how to manage a flock that has illness. Keeping a closed flock when you have an illness is the best practice.

If you have future plans of selling/trading or giving away hatching eggs, chicks or any of your chickens or showing any chickens, then you will want to have some testing and make your decision from there.

Since you're in CA, you should be able to contact UC Davis Vet labs for assistance about testing and more information about poultry diseases. http://cahfs.ucdavis.edu/

Back
Top Bottom