Terrible vet experience Ohio. Beware

Thank you so much for posting this, I'm in Ohio and I called Cedar Hill last week for help with my sick chickens. The person on the phone was really short with me when I asked if they would be willing just to process some fecal samples and I didn't get good vibes right off the bat, then she told me the "poultry" vet doesn't make farm calls and its $75 per chicken to bring them in plus other fees. I told her I would try another vet. I went to Feeder Creek instead and they not only let me bring in samples to check for coccidiosis, but the poultry vet has given me free advice over the phone several times at this point.

Thank you so much for posting this, I'm in Ohio and I called Cedar Hill last week for help with my sick chickens. The person on the phone was really short with me when I asked if they would be willing just to process some fecal samples and I didn't get good vibes right off the bat, then she told me the "poultry" vet doesn't make farm calls and its $75 per chicken to bring them in plus other fees. I told her I would try another vet. I went to Feeder Creek instead and they not only let me bring in samples to check for coccidiosis, but the poultry vet has given me free advice over the phone several times at this point.
Wow that is good to know, thank you! I'll have to look up Feeder Creek. I forgot to mention that Dr. Headlee at Cedar Hill (who is the only poultry vet) prescribed Gabapentin for my rooster. I researched Gabapentin for chickens and learned that it is not a drug you should give birds unless it is specially mixed by a pharmacist, because it has xylitol in it, which is toxic to birds! I later learned from a family member who is also an experienced vet tech, that Gabapentin is commonly used for pain and sedation with dogs and cats. So this vet never even bothered to make sure it could be used in a chicken! I also learned that someone else tried to bring a rescued snake in there to Cedar Creek, because the snake had bad heat rock burns. They were advised that no appointments were available for the snake for almost a month. OK, really? This was an urgent situation. This is beginning to sound like she is a witch doctor....I had only given my rooster the Gabapentin a couple of days and I was only giving it once a day...not twice, as was prescribed...because I had a funny feeling about it from the start. That's why I researched it.

Back
Top Bottom