Terrified Guinea Keets

BYGuinea

Hatching
Jun 24, 2016
I have 6 guinea keets born June 5th, so right around 3 weeks old. The issue is that they are terrified if I am anywhere near the inside of the brooder. I can feed/water them and they all huddle in the corner and try to fly away. I can sit on the floor just outside the cage, and they'll continue to eat, drink, etc.

Will they ever get more tame? Is there a typical age where they calm down? Any tips on helping this process along?

I give them meal worms and white millet, which they seem to enjoy. However, if I try to hand feed them at all, they cower in fear until I remove my hand. I've been attempting to use a bell to train them to come for food or treats, but they're so terrified, I'm not sure it's sinking in at all.

Any advice?

I have 6 guinea keets born June 5th, so right around 3 weeks old. The issue is that they are terrified if I am anywhere near the inside of the brooder. I can feed/water them and they all huddle in the corner and try to fly away. I can sit on the floor just outside the cage, and they'll continue to eat, drink, etc.

Will they ever get more tame? Is there a typical age where they calm down? Any tips on helping this process along?

I give them meal worms and white millet, which they seem to enjoy. However, if I try to hand feed them at all, they cower in fear until I remove my hand. I've been attempting to use a bell to train them to come for food or treats, but they're so terrified, I'm not sure it's sinking in at all.

Any advice?

My guess that your brooder is low and you are approaching them from above. They have an inborn fear of anything approaching from above. It is an instinct to protect them from birds of prey.

Either raise the brooder so that you are approaching them from their level or get down low as you approach the brooder. When at their level you can place your hand in the brooder but do not move towards them. Allow them to approach you. It takes time but it can be done.

X2 what R2elk says. I have raised several batches of keets and found that approaching from the side makes all the difference in the world.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep this in mind.

Sorry about posting two threads. Not sure what happened there.

Back
Top Bottom