Testing My Dogs with the Flock

When my dog was a pup it killed 3 chickens (at different times) Everybody told me "once a chicken killer always a chicken killer". My chickens free range over part of our land and the dogs free range over the other. Well, I spent some time with the pup on a short leash every time I was around the birds. We've got some chickens now that no fence will stop. The chickens climb all over the dog and guinea's will chase her around and we haven't lost one in a long time. She is a great pyranese and maybe the guardian instincts kicked in.

So...after 2 years of only letting my chickens free range when the dogs are inside, yesterday we forgot the chickens were out, after the dogs were out with them for about 20 minutes we found our poodle hanging out within 10 feet of them. So we were in shock and confused. I would think she would have hurt them if she was going to immediately wouldn't she? My husband found them and said the chickens weren't even afraid of her. She hangs out by their run all the time so after 2 years they know each other, but for you people that have dogs that are out with your hens, how did you safely know it was ok. This opens up a new level of safety against hawk attacks if I can let them out together, so I'd love to if we can.

Lots of dogs don't hurt chickens. Others are incredibly excited by them and can't risk playing with them, with various degrees of roughness. We take our dogs out with us and watch them. We hold our birds and tell the dogs "MINE!" All except our newest young dog have been completely fine. Sounds like your poodle is, too; just take her out with them and keep an eye on them until you are comfortable. Is your poodle large enough to be left alone outdoors with hawks and coyotes? Coyotes are even in the cities, although you might not see them.

That's the key! They are acclimated to one another. I'd keep a close eye. Hopefully the dog has good recall and voice command response.

But will the dog actually know to 'guard' against a hawk? Hard to know what would happen if a hawk strike occurred. Std poodle?
We often expect a bit too much from our dogs. A few have outstanding protective instincts; most are just dogs. Her presence might make a hawk a bit nervous, but also might not. She's not a fence, merely a deterrence.

I can't do that with my1 1/2 yr old boxer Zoey. She killed two morning doves last year and she's constantly chasing birds out in the back so she can't be trusted around chicken when out of their pen. Now she did okay yesterday when I took her over to a friend's house and they were in their pen and she was on a leash. She sat there and watch them.

So...after 2 years of only letting my chickens free range when the dogs are inside, yesterday we forgot the chickens were out, after the dogs were out with them for about 20 minutes we found our poodle hanging out within 10 feet of them. So we were in shock and confused. I would think she would have hurt them if she was going to immediately wouldn't she? My husband found them and said the chickens weren't even afraid of her. She hangs out by their run all the time so after 2 years they know each other, but for you people that have dogs that are out with your hens, how did you safely know it was ok. This opens up a new level of safety against hawk attacks if I can let them out together, so I'd love to if we can.

I recommend that you supervise dogs when they are with the chickens unless they are intended to always be with them. I had a standard poodle and a German Shepherd with high prey drive. Both dogs would go into the barn and chicken yard but both were trained to “leave them” alone. We trained the dogs on a lead for a couple of weeks before we trusted them enough to have them off lead. Both dogs were obedience trained first. Both killed chickens in unfortunate accidents over the years, but I did not blame the dogs. In each case I had to examine what I did as the owner to cause a tragedy. Both dogs would run through the flock without touching a feather because they knew the chickens were off limits. I think the poodle got pleasure from running through a group of chickens and seeing everyone scatter. My presence with the dogs was the key. The tragedies occurred when My chickens got too close to the dogs and I was not in sight where I could redirect. The chickens were never afraid of the dogs and would get too close for comfort. Your dog has to obey when you give a command or chickens will not be safe.

Sounds like your dogs know that the chickens are part of “the family”.
I have a 90lb lab/boxer/greyhound mix who is actually somewhat afraid of my girls. He will be around them, but if they come to close he’s gone. I do think just having him around does help with hawks and coyotes or any other critters that may comes around. He’s a big boy and looks tough, but a total baby inside. Good luck on your chicks!

My other boxer that I had, before she got cancer and passed away, was very obedient and was trained around the chickens. The training started when they were chicks and my other boxer was about 10 or 11. She was very protective of "her" flock.

View attachment 1715419 Jr likes to hang with Olga (chick) but don't trust a terrier with birds.

I have an Australian Terrorist that is so arrogant he will not even aclacknowle another animal. He is also completely out of control addicted to tennis balls.
And when I threw the ball over the house, not realizing the flock was just around the corner, and he ran through the flock scattering them like a pile of leaves, he intentionally came back the long way around the house.
As much as I hate his guts, he occasionally does something that right.
In fact I have two wyWyandotte hens, "the evil twins" Cruella and Maleficent, that decided one day, they didn't like him in their yard. So one afternoon as he was trotting back with his ball both charged him and Cruella gave him a pretty good peck. He turned gave them a couple vicious barks and a "bluff charge" put the fear of God in them picked up his ball and came running back to where I was working.
I hate him but I do know i can trust him around any of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom