That Duck's limping again...

Duckstruck

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2016
East Tennessee
Lily: Female Pekin, Two Years Old, History of Limping, Broody, Eats Layer Pellets and Oyster Shells
If you recognize me, then you'll probably know I've had a troubled pekin.
For the past four months or so, I've had a female duck limp (Don't think I haven't tried to fix it). There are times where it's mild, then durations when it's really rough, then back. It seems that as each month comes, she's conflicted with the same, harsh limp for a period of time, then can get around fine. This duck is really driving me up a wall with this cycle :he
It could be possible the drake caused harm to her a while back. We gave him away a month before she began to limp. After all, this same drake killed one of the other hens due to overmating. My duck experiences haven't been a breeze as you can tell.
There's no signs of bumble foot or a broken foot. Now, she barely applies pressure to her left leg, and relies on her right leg. I've heard pekins have a tendency to get leg issues due to their weight, but I have another pekin who is the same age and looks larger yet walks fine. Last time, she couldn't walk at all, and after changing their feed to layer pellets and giving them oyster shells, she got back up after about two weeks...
Is it time we finally take her to the vet? Vets are a last resort at my house. My parents aren't thrilled with my ducks in the first place and aren't anticipating an expensive vet bill either. Any home remedies? A cast? A medication? I've been giving her baby aspirins to try to subside the pain.
Thank you for reading!
p.s, I'll be giving updates daily if I see any change.

Have you tried any Epsom salt soaks or compresses. Although compresses may not be effective if you don't know exactly where the injury is? But getting her to soak in a nice warm ES salt bath may help. When I soak a duck I use a plastic dishpan put in the solution then have the duck to lay down so they can't access the water[you don't want them drinking the water it is also a laxative]. I keep my hands on the back with slight pressure to keep them laying in the solution. You can also use a bucket and put both feet and legs in easier that way. half cup ES to 1 gal of nice warm water. At least 1X a day till walking again or 2X if you can.

Alternative is Vet care, Xrays may pin point exactly what is going on. We can tell you things to try and they may not work if something else is going on They can also give a prescription for pain and inflammation .

It won't let me post the video, so I made it into a gif.

Attachments

• v6YjsK.gif
    v6YjsK.gif
    4.3 MB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom