The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else have chicks that seem overly infatuated with you? If I stand over the brooder and talk to the chicks the first rir that hatched will chirp at me and run quickly to where I am and jump, jump, jump to try and get to me! Once I pick him up he's completely content to sit with me or be on me while I walk around the house, I find it odd but so adorable. My little while silkie who I helped out of the egg loves to sit on me as well, he will click its little beak. I had parrots/birds that did the same thing when on me sleeping, I always thought it was a sign of contentment and this little baby will close his eyes in my hands and click his beak. :) love my babies.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful hatch I'm going to try and catch up on what I missed tomorrow morning at work.

Ohhh, yes, there have been some hatchlings like that around here, too. :love

What a great EASTER!!! This is my second hatch. I just purchased a Dickie incubator. It seems like the hatches take about 3 days. Is this normal?

Attached is a photo of some of the Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana chicks I hatched out. Stock originally is from Peachick. I am so excited about these birds!!!

Happy Easter from Sunny Kansas!
frow.gif

Does anyone else have chicks that seem overly infatuated with you? If I stand over the brooder and talk to the chicks the first rir that hatched will chirp at me and run quickly to where I am and jump, jump, jump to try and get to me! Once I pick him up he's completely content to sit with me or be on me while I walk around the house, I find it odd but so adorable. My little while silkie who I helped out of the egg loves to sit on me as well, he will click its little beak. I had parrots/birds that did the same thing when on me sleeping, I always thought it was a sign of contentment and this little baby will close his eyes in my hands and click his beak.
smile.png
love my babies.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful hatch I'm going to try and catch up on what I missed tomorrow morning at work.
I had a lavender orp chick the hatch before this one (our first) that was crazy over me! Funniest thing ever
gig.gif
. When ever I put my hand in the brooder the other chicks would do a peck and run but this little guy would jump up into my hand and cuddle! Mind you, this was only me...my husband and daughter would try to get him to do the same with no luck hahaha!

What a great EASTER!!! This is my second hatch. I just purchased a Dickie incubator. It seems like the hatches take about 3 days. Is this normal?

Attached is a photo of some of the Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana chicks I hatched out. Stock originally is from Peachick. I am so excited about these birds!!!

Happy Easter from Sunny Kansas!
frow.gif
Such precious photos!

HEYYY. I want to see how many chicks other people have hatched so far, can everyone please quote this comment and then say the amount you hatched! Cool thanks! Lets see!
jumpy.gif

I set 24, removed 4 clears at lockdown. Hatched a total of 16 from 20. But brought a friend's egg over since her 'bator was iffy, so I guess you can count 17 outta 21.

Last edited:
I have 17 chicks from 30 set.

And GUESS WHAT?! It WAS paddle leg! All but one of the chicks have fully recovered! I'm thrilled. I believe the last ne will recover too, have her under the Ecoglow now

I still have zero hatches! What is taking them so long! I have a total of 14 pips, and some are working on zipping - but they have been working at it for a while now. They are still active and peeping, I have my humidity up to 80%. My first pip is going on 36 hours since first external pip. Hoping for ducklings anytime now...Come on quackers!

re-candled the last 4 in the bator and removed one that was an early quitter. I was concerned about it when placing it, but being a newbie I stuck it in anyways. 2 of the 3 are so full and darker eggs its almost impossible to see much, but it looked like something was moving in it as I rolled the egg to candle. The last egg has a funky air cell I didn't notice before. Instead of just going around the top portion it sort of runs down the side of the egg as well. Is this normal? Any hope for it?

Compliments of sally sunshine hatching 101
SADDLE SHAPED AIR CELLS are very COMMON with shipped eggs!
Saddle shaped is when one or both sides have a large "dip" in the air cell. A lot of times with saddle shaped cells the chick doesn’t position correct for hatching and their feet can easily get stuck behind their head and “smoosh” the chick so they can’t move, it can also force the yolk sack and everything more north in the shell.... Keep a close eye on these eggs and its VERY important to pencil mark Air cells! Refer to Saddle Shaped Air Cell chick assiting in this article https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

I set 24, removed 4 clears at lockdown. Hatched a total of 16 from 20. But brought a friend's egg over since her 'bator was iffy, so I guess you can count 17 outta 21.

That is awesome!! Im glad you hatched so many! Some people can only hatch like 1/4 of what was set to hatch. GREAT JOB!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom