The 4th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning! my chickies seem afraid of me
sad.png
guess i need to hold them more... such horrible things we need to do...
smile.png

Seriously? I had troubles with bators so my hatch was delayed. i set the same day as everyone and I STILL had some hatching last night! Now all the prizes are gone!!! I guess no point in posting how my hatch went.

Thanks. Paypal has already closed the claim, and when I tried to dispute it again, it blocked me. :( I wouldn't be so upset if she hadn't wasted 3 weeks of my time lying to me. It's so upsetting to be just plain robbed so badly.

I hope you didn't leave positive feedback!!

Good morning! Behind by 73 pages, oh cruel, cruel life. At some point I'll go through this thread again and see all of the posts I missed. Hope everyone (and their chicks) is/are well.

I ended up losing my remaining chick that had hatched, but thankfully a friend had given me one of her chicks, so my broody still has a baby she can care for. I'm pretty sure it's a boy and jokingly named it Handsome Rob for now. Both chick and mama are EE's, so it works out great.

Pele, I haven't seen all of what's gone on, but it sounds like you've had a lousy time of it. Sorry, m'dear
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Seriously? I had troubles with bators so my hatch was delayed. i set the same day as everyone and I STILL had some hatching last night! Now all the prizes are gone!!! I guess no point in posting how my hatch went.
Please post your results to be added to the total. Also, contest 12 is open, taking entries until 4/6

Contest #12
2013 Easter Hatch-a-long
"Cutest Easter Chick/s Contest!"

Post your most beautiful New Chick/s Photos!

All fowl accepted, No fake editing or captions!
Chicks in your images MUST be hatched from eggs entered in the 2013 EASTER Hatch-A-Long!
Please don't compromise chicks by opening the incubator for pics!
The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges

2 entries per contestant

ENTRY DEADLINE
April 6th, 2013 Midnight PST

The Prize:

One Dozen “Rarest of the Rare” Dozen Hatching Eggs!
donated by Greenfire Farms

Possible breeds for the winner: Red Orpingtons, Partridge Barthuners, Double Blue Laced Barnevelders, Bielefelders, New Bloodline Cream Legbars, Blue Partridge Brahmas

*Breed choice will be made by Greenfire Farms depending on availability

Quote:
Thanks Ron, my hatches do fine in the Reptipro at that humidity. I always run at 100 degrees. Just the difference in location I guess. :/

Well, its over. I candled, tapped, and then pipped the rest of the eggs this morning and all were dead.
hit.gif
Quite a few almost full term chicks, some obviously not quite finished. Not sure if there was some wrong positioning in play too, but my first guess is there was a bit too much temp fluctuation in the last few days thanks to my LG being finicky about house temps.
sad.png

This is a bit more devastating for me than it would be for many of you who seem to hatch all the time. This was our ONE chance to hatch this spring. I had promised chicks to several friends, and the timing was perfect to have them close in age to our chick order from McMurray that is coming next week. If I ever DO try again with this incubator, I will definitely get a new thermometer (or two) to compare with the digital one I used for this hatch, and I will do a longer trial run and make better use of the Max/min feature on the thermometer.

You know, I was thinking about a line from Pele's story the last few days (AWESOME story BTW!) where he mentioned that the EGG itself has been all important and our main focus for most of the incubation, but at the end the egg becomes insignificant as the new entity, the new LIFE explodes out of it. When I read that line I was thinking how true that is - but sadly my eggs never became more than an egg in this hatch.

So for the record keepers - here is my final totals...

Set 46 eggs
Culled 22 infertile eggs
Culled 2 blood ring/early quitters
22 went to lockdown
1 pipped internally but died in shell
0 hatched

---------------------------------------
In better news - we have a broody buff out in the main coop!
big_smile.png
Though my sister has claimed her for hatching some of her project heritage meat birds (Delaware/BO cross). Here's to lots of broody hens this year!!!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom