The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: WOW interesting and thank you!!! I would love to care for something that lives longer and doesnt fly the coop at age 18 or die at age 10-14 :(
I think you are correct, not a good idea, as my dogs killed a chicken last night not smart to have anythng inside with them, at least outside they have a flighty chance :(

I knew that in my head going into it but the reality hit hard. This is only the second time I have tried hatching shipped eggs. Last spring I had a breeder send me around 3 dozen Langshan eggs. But the week he mailed them from AZ to CA, was the week we had a horrible heat wave. Not a single egg developed. That was really heartbreaking! I think that from now on I will concentrate on my own breeds (BBS Langshan and Pita Pinta) or get eggs from breeders within driving distance. Fortunately, there are many breeders within 2 hrs of where I live in the SF bay area of CA.
smile.png

Most of my breeding flock is at a friend's 10 acre farm but I have my Pita Pinta flock here in town. Zorro seems to really like the wide bodied girls but some of them are experts at avoiding him! His 7 Pita Pinta girls and the Cream Legbars follow him around like they are his groupies!

I know how you feel, I have had soo many shipped eggs over the past couple years that that did not hatch or even develop that it was so discouraging but I continue to buy them that ways because there are some I really want and I do not want hatchery quality in my different breeds so I am willing to continue to buy online. I have gotten some good hatches but most of the time none hatched or 1 or 2 hatched. But the few that hatched gave me a start and I am happy with that.

I do hatch most of my own flocks eggs though. But I still buy online!

I have a couple Roosters that I also swear have a lot of groupies also. I like the name Zorro I just might name a future Rooster that.
smile.png

:jumpy I am so happy! Comcast finally came and found out what was going on with out internet. Whew... and just in the nick of time.. Dont want to miss Friday night! This computer on the other hand, is a dinosaur in computer terms. It is over 10 years old, and right now it is not showing me the emotocons and it should be. :/

In other news all of my chicks and ducklings have moved outside in to their grow up pens! :jumpy I have my house back for a week. lol

My friend with the eclectus constantly has her paperwork destroyed. Her boyfriend's $300 flight manual was eaten by it.

In college I used to let mine explore and build a nest in boxes in the top of my closet. I used to have 2 they were sisters. The one died about 5 years ago when I left them in boarding at a vets office to go on vacation for 1 week. These things are like half termite. They love to chew destroy and nest. Especially books cardboard and paper. There aren't too many ways to meet all their destructive and entertainment needs in a clean house. We do our best! If you know what it's like running a daycare then you have an idea of the chaos factor. Unless you just leave them in a cage all the time :(

I have a couple Roosters that I also swear have a lot of groupies also. I like the name Zorro I just might name a future Rooster that.
smile.png
It's a good name and he is a good boy. We like to name our birds based on the country of origin of the breed. We have been giving our Langshans Chinese names like Shang, Mulan, and Lucy Liu. The Speckled Sussex got good West Sussex city names like Arundel and Fairlight. The Pita Pintas are a Spanish breed hence the name Zorro. Not all of our breeding birds get names. I have a hard time telling the Pita Pinta girls apart so no names for them yet.

It's a good name and he is a good boy. We like to name our birds based on the country of origin of the breed. We have been giving our Langshans Chinese names like Shang, Mulan, and Lucy Liu. The Speckled Sussex got good West Sussex city names like Arundel and Fairlight. The Pita Pintas are a Spanish breed hence the name Zorro. Not all of our breeding birds get names. I have a hard time telling the Pita Pinta girls apart so no names for them yet.

I love the name! I only name a few of my chickens because I have so many that I would never remember all of them.

I have a hard enough time remembering all my grand kids names nonetheless my chickens.

I would love to see pictures of your Pita Pinta chickens. I will have to look them up on the internes as I have not heard of them before.

So I guess I am going to have to read Ron"s daily digest in order to catch up. lol Comcast had to give us a new modem... Ours went bad somehow.

Love the Micaw pics. They are beutiful! :love

I love the name! I only name a few of my chickens because I have so many that I would never remember all of them.

I have a hard enough time remembering all my grand kids names nonetheless my chickens.

I would love to see pictures of your Pita Pinta chickens. I will have to look them up on the internes as I have not heard of them before.

Oh how funny I just looked them up and they are the breed I found for the Chicken Chat Forum. Beautiful Birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom