The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have 200 plus eggs going into lock down today haven't yet figured out how I am going to accomplish it lol.I have styro bators I use for hatching but not ususaly this many. I also have another 75 or so going into lockdown over the next few days. I did not get to candle due to my emergency trip out of town until last night and I ended up pulling 5 dozen eggs that were clear or had blood rings I still have a few more to candle but 60 eggs out of 388 isnt too bad curious to see what is going on with the other eggs. I will give everyone a final pull count tonight after I candle the rest of the eggs by the way a dozen of the eggs that were clear were my entire english orpington shipment very sad but the box they came in was very damaged. I am looking forward to this hatch as I have missed the last two.

I just realized that its going to be kind of horrible turning 60 eggs by hand.... oh well.

It's not horrible lol...I've been doing it since this HAL started. Every day, 3 times a day. You can do it!!
thumbsup.gif

I am locking down my Bator's tonight. Have my HAL eggs in there and some new eggs. Malay, Sumatra and Guinea. I also found out I am going to have to set more duck eggs. I have received an order for ducklings! :jumpy I sure hope the six I have in my bator hatch because I know some of them are sold! Must hatch more so they are grown for the end of summer or fall.

Question: what would you charge for ducklings? Pekin and Rouen or the crosses? I have not been able to figure out what to charge..

It's not horrible lol...I've been doing it since this HAL started. Every day, 3 times a day. You can do it!! :thumbsup
Its a good thing I'm a stay at home mom turning that many. I'd never have time to do anything else if I worked lol...

On the other hand. I checked the eggs that are due today, through the bator window of course and I have rocking and possibly peeping eggs. Hard to tell if its the eggs or the already hatched chicks in the brooder beside them peeping. Lol

Quote: Try 4 styro bators packed full. And I do that at least 8 months out of the year until I cut back to 1-2 bators for the winter.

I am locking down my Bator's tonight. Have my HAL eggs in there and some new eggs. Malay, Sumatra and Guinea. I also found out I am going to have to set more duck eggs. I have received an order for ducklings!
jumpy.gif
I sure hope the six I have in my bator hatch because I know some of them are sold! Must hatch more so they are grown for the end of summer or fall.

Question: what would you charge for ducklings? Pekin and Rouen or the crosses? I have not been able to figure out what to charge..

I start duckling prices at $4 for mixes & $6 for pures of those breeds.

This is my first hatch along, so here's what we're up to. I'm not sure if mine count b/c I can't have them actually hatch on Easter when students will be away.

Batch 1: Our backyard eggs
Sat night - all 14 eggs moved into a hatcher (Day 18)
No quitters or blood rings noticed
Hatch day Tues night /Wed am (April 16)
I swear I saw some egg movement tonight, but not confirmed by others. Wishful thinking??

Batch 2: Our shipped eggs
3 blood rings + one just arrived scrambled
rest are still incubating & growing
several crazy shaped air cells
Day 14 will be this Tues
Hatch Day = Earth Day (April 22)

Does anyone have advice on saddle shaped air cells?
~~(The shipped eggs have many odd shaped air cells; none are rolling.) On day 18, do I still position the lowest dip upward if it is the detached area or make a judgment based on the air cell as a whole? Do I stop turning sooner or do other things to help the chicks position themselves?
DAY 12

Take you best guess on what up should be, alternately you can hatch the egg upright in an egg carton. Watch carefully for low pips.

I just realized that its going to be kind of horrible turning 60 eggs by hand.... oh well.

It's not horrible lol...I've been doing it since this HAL started. Every day, 3 times a day. You can do it!! :thumbsup

Try 4 styro bators packed full. And I do that at least 8 months out of the year until I cut back to 1-2 bators for the winter.

I am locking down my Bator's tonight. Have my HAL eggs in there and some new eggs. Malay, Sumatra and Guinea. I also found out I am going to have to set more duck eggs. I have received an order for ducklings! :jumpy I sure hope the six I have in my bator hatch because I know some of them are sold! Must hatch more so they are grown for the end of summer or fall.

I start duckling prices at $4 for mixes & $6 for pures of those breeds.

Try 4 styro bators packed full. And I do that at least 8 months out of the year until I cut back to 1-2 bators for the winter.

That is CRAZY. Although I'd love to have enough customers to get to that point. First, step- get my breeding pens right.

I have a price question too. What would you price cross breed chicks at? They would be glwxrir if that matters

Good Morning. Went ahead and candeled all the eggs I had left. Down to 4 out of 41. Think I am going to try again after this hatch and see if I can figure out why I don't have a better hatch rate. I know I had a couple of temp spikes so that did not help. Just wondering if may be my rooster has too many girls (9) because it seemed to be a lot of clears, and they all appear to be from the same 4 hens. Hopefully the 4 left will hatch though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom