The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG! I CANNOT CONTROL THIS HUMIDITY!
he.gif
barnie.gif

Especially since you had one hatch! That is normal that it goes up when a chick hatches. Congratulations on your new baby! Is this one that had pipped at the wrong end?

Put a small thing of rice in there..see if it works, then tell me..I haven't tried that one yet. :)

Last edited:
Uh Oh - I'm in lockdown. Or, as I like to call it, the spend all my time staring obsessively at the incubator, listening for imaginary chirps, watching for imaginary wiggles, while constantly slapping my own hands away from the buttons and lid; phase.

Sigh. Come on, eggies - do something!

Especially since you had one hatch! That is normal that it goes up when a chick hatches. Congratulations on your new baby! Is this one that had pipped at the wrong end?

Put a small thing of rice in there..see if it works, then tell me..I haven't tried that one yet. :)

no this was actually the most recent pip and the only one so far at the correct end. The others are still toughing it out.

Okay skipping pages to post results after moving to hatcher (set on Friday evening the 28th):

H/L/S Breed Set To Hatcher %
H S 3 2 66.67%
H BG 15 12 80.00%
L Dom 12 12 100.00%
L DE 13 9 69.23%
S SS 4 1 25.00%
S P 4 4 100.00%
S WL 10 6 60.00%
S NN 12 9 75.00%
S RN 6 2 33.33%
Totals 79 57 72.15%

H = home
L = local
S = shipped

S = Silkies
BG = Big Girls pen at my house - RIR cock over RIR hen, SLW hen, 2 Speckled Sussex hens
Dom = Dominiques
DE = Domineggers - Dominique cock over Easter Egger hens
SS = Speckled Sussex
P = Polish
WL = White Leghorn
NN = Naked Neck
RN = Red Naked Neck

Overall pretty pleased and looking forward to Friday evening/Saturday morning!

i was always told to use newspaper for the first three days to teach the chicks what the feed looks like then to use pine shavings so you can compost them but if sand works for you use sand

I was told the opposite... to never use newspaper because it is too slippery and they can develop leg issues (splay leg etc).... Currently I use pine shavings was just considering using sand. I scoop the sand in my large coop and run with a kitty litter scooper attached to a broom stick. (hillbilly like... but it works quite well amazingly) Anyways for them to figure out the food issue i put a paver brick appx 8"wide and 14" long about 2" tall in one side of the brooder and put the shavings up to it the first week. after the first week I put the paver on top of the bedding so they have to step up to eat/drink etc to minimize the mess.
Has anyone used Sand in their brooder?? Just curious? I dont want to switch and have issues.....

ps... Night all!

no this was actually the most recent pip and the only one so far at the correct end. The others are still toughing it out.

I would be worrying about it's legs by now. Maybe you should help the first one out. It's been quite a while, right? Go to Sally's page on assisting. :)

I use pine in my brooder. :) Put a big piece of shelf liner over that for a few days until they get their footing real good.

Way out of the loop, but I really want to take a moment and again thank Happy Chooks and Sally Sunshine for all their wonderful spirit, support, understanding, sympathy and empathy. They have it all with such dedication and fever to make it all fabulous for the rest of us!
frow.gif
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
They made this HAL happen, how about a few rounding cheers!!!!~!
love.gif
bow.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif

Way out of the loop, but I really want to take a moment and again thank Happy Chooks and Sally Sunshine for all their wonderful spirit, support, understanding, sympathy and empathy. They have it all with such dedication and fever to make it all fabulous for the rest of us!
frow.gif
clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
They made this HAL happen, how about a few rounding cheers!!!!~!
love.gif
bow.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
clap.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom