The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Locked down last night
big_smile.png
See some wigglin goin on but no pips yet...come on silkies I can't wait to see what colors I get! The wait is killing me
caf.gif
So I come on here and see the updates and look at all the new babies. So cute and fuzzy!!!

I processed for the first time tonite with dh and our neighbor!!!
highfive.gif
yesss.gif

Our NYE hatch-a-long roos are getting big and there are 7 roos to 7 pullets in the run and it is just too much for the poor pullets. So I pulled the biggest two that I wasn't planning on breeding anyways. The hardest part of it was sitting there in the coop talking to them and making the decision of who and how many to process.

It was easy after watching the neighbor do his...and I am so proud of myself because I really didn't think I could do it! But I did the biggest one myself.
big_smile.png
Dh was surprised that I did, but like I said...it wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated! Not traumatized, but it will be strange going out in the a.m. and not seeing them there. *sigh*

Easter dinner will be delish!
droolin.gif
That's wonderful, enjoy your dinner!

Please do not throw virtual rocks my way but I caved! After seeing nothing at all, no moving egg even I opened the bator to add water and candles the eggs. I finally chucked the yucky 5th egg. I did see movement in all 4 other eggs and an internal pip in one, though not hearing any peeping. I have hope now! Can't wait till the kids gets up to tell them about there being hope! :)

I'm glad you have hope!

I have about 12 eggs under a broody and she hasnt come off the nest for just over 2 days now, when i checked on her today she had defecated in the nest. today/tomorrow is supposed to be hatch day so i took her off the nest and quickly scooped away the worst of the bedding. most of the eggs have got the poo on them that has now dried on.

just before i put her back in i saw that one of the eggs had pipped! a small piece of shell was missing and the chick was cheeping loudly inside, it hadnt managed to pierce through the white membrane where the shell has fallen off.

Im not too sure what to do. i have space in my incubator so could pop him in and see how the hatch goes or i could leave it under mum and hope that i havnt done too much damage by lifting her off to clear some of the nest.

Any ideas on whats best??
I would leave it under the broody.

I moved my HAL eggs under a broody and now I'm frustrated because I can't see what's going on! She has kicked out one empty shell so I guess at least one has hatched. I hate not knowing what's happening in there
pop.gif
A couple days of frustration now, is well worth seeing chicks and hen running around the yard together. Also no brooder cleaning.

So how long does it normally take them to fluff up? My first one out still isn't 100% dry. And it hatched 5hrs ago.

yours is fluffed more than mine

This may have been responded to already, but I still have 7 pages to go to catch up, so I thought I'd pipe in real quick before I lose my place.

Just because they aren't "fluffed up" does not mean they aren't dry. I have quite a few babies that were in the hatcher for 5 hours overnight, and when I opened the bator to add water, they were all dry even though they looked like they were still wet. Just thought I'd let you know that.

I heard a peep so I went to check - nothing. BUT as I was looking, I saw the first pip happen. The kids are so excited! My daughter is recording it to show her friends at school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom