The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got 7 for 7 from my broody hen. They are Old English Game Bantams.

I'm trying to upload photos but for some reason it's not working. I'll keep trying and post pictures if I get it figured out.

Congrats!

Did my eggs hatch ok for you?
They did. I had 3 of 5 Maran to hatch. Very strong chicks. They just busted out of their shells, and been running wild. They are the bosses of the group. One of the Maran eggs was clear and the other was a late quitter. 2 of the 4 CCL hatched. One boy and one girl. The girl possible has wry neck. Been giving her a vit mixture. Neck still twisted, but over all she is doing better. The 2 that did not hatch were fully developed. Not really sure what happened. They never piped
1f615.png

They did. I had 3 of 5 Maran to hatch. Very strong chicks. They just busted out of their shells, and been running wild. They are the bosses of the group. One of the Maran eggs was clear and the other was a late quitter. 2 of the 4 CCL hatched. One boy and one girl. The girl possible has wry neck. Been giving her a vit mixture. Neck still twisted, but over all she is doing better. The 2 that did not hatch were fully developed. Not really sure what happened. They never piped
1f615.png

Oh good Im glad you got some chicks from the eggs!

I wish the other CL had hatched for you. I really hope the pullet gets better
fl.gif
If not please pm me.

Do you have a pic of the male? Im always interested to see how my chicks look especially my male CL.

Oh good Im glad you got some chicks from the eggs!

I wish the other CL had hatched for you. I really hope the pullet gets better
fl.gif
If not please pm me.

Do you have a pic of the male? Im always interested to see how my chicks look especially my male CL.
Just posted a pic. Ill post more if you want. You can have him back if you want him. I really wanted the girls.
tongue.png

That IS cool!! Getting a good hatch can be a big chalenge ; glad it went great!!

And I use the couch too-- closer! lol I could listen for the fat bellied chick that falls on its back and paddles for dear life , making a bowl in the shavings. Poor thing. Needs someone to turn it over. Looks like she is good for go this morning-- staying upright and fat belly absorbed.
I really miss my 80% to 100% hatches, but man does it feel good to join a big hatch and get more them from 1 to 3 out of over 200 eggs. Maybe it was good I didn't set so many. I'm still watching a couple. I had to go out and I need to get myself moving again soon to move chicks around. I was ready since..............well, you know. LOL Now I have monster chicks and bantams together and I NEED those bantams.

My daughter and the new baby are staying with me and she asked me way I bought so many incubators that I have horrible hatches with. She said I never had problems with the incubators that my husband and I built. Might need to dig those out one day.

For future reference, I would make a bag of cheesecloth to hold the rice, chicks wouldn't be able to get, and it would be able to be changed out easily if need be.
A sock works too. I also use rice in socks to transport chicks if it;s cold. Toss the sock in the microwave and stick it in with the chicks.

Thanks to Sally I finally built a cabinet style cooler bator, my first one ever! Im so excited I never thought I would actually do it but her "how to" thread and all the helpful people that are posting on that thread I finally got it up and running and tweaked it enough that Im pretty certain the temps are even through out. I just put 9 barnyard mixes in it for my test run. The only adjustment I need to make is to add 4 hardware cloth shelves framed in wood. The pic shows one metal rack shelf with harware cloth, I didnt like these shelves so I will change it out after my test run. Here are some pics

Love it! I've made them from coolers, but never thought to set them on end. Great work!

Putting my only egg in lock down tomorrow....................................................................................... MY ONLY EGG!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he.gif

Its father is a mottled cochin bantam and its mother is a mille fleur d'uccle.
love.gif
You gotta post pics when it hatches. I'd love to see that.

My neighbor just gave me the cutest little sunbeam rotisserie. She's only used it once and thought that I could make better use of it.
I have an old one that I got from my mom years ago. It's shaped like a big bullet. LOL Works great though. Enjoy!

OMG!! I've posted this all over lately.LOL I want a shirt or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom