The 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been MIA for a few days. Chicks hatching... chicks grafting.... Building a broody pen... moving Rumples and her chicks.... and today a dead chick. It looks like it may have gotten trampled.
hit.gif
one the good side... the oldest chick was scratching away just like Momma taught it.

QUESTION.... How do I treat my broody and her chicks for lice? What is safe for 4 day old chicks? Should I just dust Mom with DE and the chicks in a week or so? I am almost positive that they have lice, because one of my hens had them and I treated her with DE. Broody and the chicks are in a separate pen, but they were in the same coop as the others until hatch day. Coop is dusted... broody pen was dusted. Thanks...

None of my olive eggers hatched- My easter egger roo is not doing his job! All clear. But I had 3 of the barnyard mix hatch. So that's 3 chicks out of 12 set.
I have birds with lots of fluff. If they don't get a Bermuda trim around the vent area I get nothing fertile. After I trim them, I get all fertile. He might be doing his job, but to much poofy to deal with.

QUESTION.... How do I treat my broody and her chicks for lice? What is safe for 4 day old chicks? Should I just dust Mom with DE and the chicks in a week or so? I am almost positive that they have lice, because one of my hens had them and I treated her with DE. Broody and the chicks are in a separate pen, but they were in the same coop as the others until hatch day. Coop is dusted... broody pen was dusted. Thanks...

If you see definite crawling bugs use ivermectin on them. Just a drop on the back of the neck of the chicks & .5ml for a large fowl hen or .25ml for a bantam hen. Spread the hen's dose out under each wing, near vent & on back of neck. I would treat everyone at the same time. DE will not work to get rid of lice, mites or worms once they are present. It only helps to prevent infestation BEFORE hand.

Here are some more pics of my CL Hope. She still hasn't fully fluffed yet because there is some sticky think on her back (I might have a to clean her a little). Looks like real chipmunk pattern but I am not an expert. What do you think?

Hope sleeping in her Lego box
thumbsup.gif
Pullet

I can tell you do not use Sevin dust on the chicks. I did it a couple of years ago on 2 two week old chicks, the next morning 1 was dead. I felt so bad.

If you see definite crawling bugs use ivermectin on them. Just a drop on the back of the neck of the chicks & .5ml for a large fowl hen or .25ml for a bantam hen. Spread the hen's dose out under each wing, near vent & on back of neck. I would treat everyone at the same time. DE will not work to get rid of lice, mites or worms once they are present. It only helps to prevent infestation BEFORE hand.
Can I use it on one week old chicks? And thanks for responding.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom