The 6th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got three pips yay!I knew they were in there =) can hear peeping and feel movement in a few.

Update: three hatched have about 4-5 holes in eggs. Once the first hatched the rest have started. I guess all the flopping around helps... Lol. They all are gathering around one egg and the last 2 that there was gathering they were the ones to hatch next... They are literally trying to sit on the next egg like the mother hen would... It's adorable!

Here's my Easter Hatchling tally:
47 set
12 clear: mostly Aracaunas :(
35 lockdown
12 hatched went to my brother
16 hatched still in my brooder
4 (I went to buy Layer feed) came home from feed store
1 died in zip
6 quit

Oh.My.Gosh! I think I'm addicted...

so official count, set today 18 silkies from mail (8 lavenders in it !!!), 14 d'uccles from my stock and 6 gray pheasant peacock set yesterday for a total of 38. all got a prespray of ascorbic acid and were dried before put in. this will be my last hatching for many months unless something unusual gets offered.
final count for this batch- 3 silkies, 7 duccles and 0 pheasant made it to lock down-3 hatched--so 8% hatch rate-all my stock......of the 10 late HAL eggs i was 'convinced' to enter, i got 5! and 4 hatched on Easter! the 5th had to be helped and I waited a long time to help that one out. -so 50% on the late easter HAL eggs. I switched the eggs from a table top to a cabinet incubator about day 14

Clearly the hens are better at this than me. Their eggs are little fluff balls running around. Mine are still in the incubator. Monday was day 21. Humidity spiked "What the heck" up to 80%. 24 eggs in incubator 3 have hatched spread out over days and have more pips. I guess its good they didn't all drown. I'll give the total count of the longest hatch ever... Later

Last edited:
These are my hatch results, bottom line - 97 chicks hatched!

Turkeys, 4 set 0 hatched
Guineas, 6 set, 3 hatched
Rhodebars, 6 set 5 hatched
Welsummers, 51 set, 29 hatched
Black Sexlinks, 33 set, 23 hatched
Black Copper Marans, 20 set, 19 hatched
BBS Ameraucanas, 21 set, 14 hatched
Olive Eggers (WS x CCL), 18 set, 4 hatched
New Hampshires under broody, 0 hatched, appear to be infertile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back