The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Welcome!!!

I'm melting! I me a nice looking splash! These are beautiful..do you sell eggs? ey? Say yes!

Here are a couple of my splashes from the past. This girl is my favorite.

I had just trimmed this girls eyes. This one is still young, around 5 months old.

Love them, let me know if you sell eggs!
love.gif
love.gif

Quote: your not too far from me!!! lol
yesss.gif

There are a few more eggs in the carton that I am thinking of commandeering, I can't let any beautiful eggs go to waist, right?
MUST SET ALL EGGS unless they are old, smelly or ugly of course!
lau.gif

Set Chicken eggs on Saturday, March 5th at Noon (whatever time zone you are in)

Other poultry breed setting dates listed below...

We want to hatch on March 26th, (the day BEFORE Easter Sunday)

button quail: 16 days to hatch; set March 10th
coturnix quail: 18 days to hatch; set March 8th
seramas: 19 days to hatch; set March 7th
other bantam and LF chicken: 21 days to hatch; set March 5th
bobwhite quail: 23 days to hatch; set March 3rd
call duck and other bantam ducks: 26 days to hatch; set February 29th
pheasant: 22 to 29 days; set February 26th - March 4th
mallard (derived) duck,goose, turkey, guinea, peafowl: 28 days to hatch; set February 27th
goose: 28 to 32 days to hatch; set February 23rd - February 27th
muscovy duck: 35 days to hatch; set February 20th
emu: approx. 53 days to hatch - set Feb 2nd (for you "serious" hatchers)

Hatching Particpant List is Current to Post 4230
Thank you Mike!
love.gif
hugs.gif

She's very pretty! She's not splash but a cross between dominant white and black which gives you white with black leakage. Some people refer to this coloring as "paint".
Okay cool I've never heard it called paint its nice to have even an unofficial name for it. The family that hatched Jasmine said the only color her mother had ever produced chick wise was black and little Jasmine was pure white. Jasmine's mother was also pure white but since her last molt has gotten 1 half black feather, maybe more now idk. I think it's very cool to have gotten a chick that looks like her Mommy. Her Mom is also 3/4 years old now and still lays very well so I'm ecstatic she turned out to be a pullet. She is from the group I got from a family in Illinois originally 6 chicks that I got at week old, we lost three to Cocci at about 6 weeks(my first time dealing with Cocci). We lost one pure 50% English orp black cockeral, one black orp/ccl cockeral, and one black orp/ccl pullet. I was of course devastated, but got up for the first four nights in the middle of the night from five tapering to one time and fed the two sickest ones Ella and Jasmine a mix of some corid(a drop or two) electrolyte powder and raw egg yolk by syringe. Amazingly we didn't lose any more of them.
My Sapphire girl, Tizzy, is a cross between a dominant white Leghorn and a Cream Legbar so she has both black leakage and pale lemon leakage. It is hard to get the lemon to photograph though.
She's beautiful! Wish my Juliet(black orp 50% English/ccl) had made it. See above story.
Yeah! :celebrate I know, little dogs can be hard. What you are doing is wonderful though. Sometimes we take in animals and care for them not because we wanted the animal but to help another person. We're almost always willing to pet-sit for friends, even if their dogs tried to kill our chickens (that is why Dominator, my favorite rooster, is missing part of his tail). Yes, we pet-sit dogs and it is so hard to see how frustrated and confused the poor guys are when they first come. The owners often did not do proper research and so the dogs may have obsessive issues or too much energy. If we have them more then a few days they tend to settle down I've got a silkie egg in the incubator (or else under my broody hen. I can't tell the silkie eggs apart from the silkie mixes). Some chicks are due to hatch on the 21 of February and then for the few days after (some eggs were set a couple days late). I'm so excited!! Yep, I've got dirty eggs also. When the weather keeps warming up and then freezing a lot of mud can be made. The nest boxes need cleaned
It's true my Grandma's chihuahua is a completely different dog when she's with me. She is a little long-haired tricolor and she has beautiful big brown eyes. It's funny how much dogs respond and act differently just based on who they're around and who they respect. Oh good luck with the silkie egg! Any idea on color the chick would be? We want pictures! Yeah between the mud and a special talent a couple of our girls have- I swear they try to step in and track poop around on purpose. However the dirty eggs of course started maybe a day or two after we cleaned them and the shavings inside aren't dirty it just has to be when they walk in and step on them. Normally I would wash them and keep them for our use but right now we are being buried in eggs getting at least ten per day now but usually 14, and one day we got 17 which is the most we've gotten yet. We're still building a business and getting the word out about eggs for sale so we have had so many that on days with bad weather we've been hard boiling a bunch and feeding them back to the flock. Even most of our bantams and silkies are laying every other day. And a few of them lay almost every day.
Oh Im sorry I misunderstood. If you take any new pics of her you should post them:)
It's okay no problem. I'm hoping to get some tonight if I do I'll post some. I need to trim around her eyes she's kind of flighty and I think it's BC she can't see the best, but I'm afraid I might poke her in the eye or something. I know it sounds ridiculous. She's pretty good if she sees you coming but I've seen her panic and run headlong into a tree. Don't worry she was okay but that's another reason I would like to trim around her eyes.
Do you ever sell fertile hatching eggs, I have been looking for splash silkies for so long. They are beautiful
I would love some of them too! Where are you located?
Okay, I'm going to torture you all with the hardest decision you all will ever make... What is your favorite chicken breed? I think mine is either Cochins or Milles..
Oh goodness idk I think I'm still figuring that out. Mist of the breed we own I have a special bond with one or two of the birds. We have an EE named Pebbles that I adore, a silkie named Ginger who takes off running for me any time she sees me, and tries to follow me back to the house. We also have three oegb that are super spoiled and sweet, and then we have the orps and oh my goodness how do I choose?! Lol I guess my jury is still out. We have only had a handful of breeds so hopefully in years to come I can pick several favorite breeds.

Okay, I'm going to torture you all with the hardest decision you all will ever make... What is your favorite chicken breed? I think mine is either Cochins or Milles..
OEGB, with a close second of Sultans.
:lau We eat allot of eggs, we probably have 8 dozen in the fridge right now, I have a feeling that my family wouldn't be very happy if I set them all! :gig :idunno
:lau
My favorites would maybe be Milles, Chocolate Orps, Chocolate other breeds... I like Chocolate chickens...
Yum, chocolate... :drool
I have a favorite chicken; does that count? (my 4 pullets are all different breeds).
Aww she is adorable! -Banti

Quote: Chocolate chickens are the best...
lol.png

Well, did you get them?
idunno.gif

I decided to not commandeer any more eggs (for the moment
cool.png
), but will be getting some Black Copper Maran eggs soon (hopefully tomorrow
ya.gif
). Then I want to breed the BCM hens with my Chocolate (Cuckoo) Orp rooster and eventually get CHOCOLATE Copper Marans that lay CHOCOLATE eggs!
wee.gif

Quote:
lau.gif
Everybody is so encouraging!

Welcome to the 2016 Easter Hatch A Long! :jumpy Set days: [COLOR=333333][COLOR=A52A2A]Set Chicken eggs on Saturday, March 5th at Noon (whatever time zone you are in)[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Other poultry breed setting dates listed below...[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]We want to hatch on March 26th, [COLOR=B22222](the day BEFORE Easter Sunday)[/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]button quail: 16 days to hatch; set March 10th coturnix quail: 18 days to hatch; set March 8th seramas: 19 days to hatch; set March 7th other bantam and LF chicken: 21 days to hatch; set March 5th bobwhite quail: 23 days to hatch; set March 3rd call duck and other bantam ducks: 26 days to hatch; set February 29th[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]pheasant: 22 to 29 days; set February 26th - March 4th mallard (derived) duck,goose, turkey, guinea, peafowl: 28 days to hatch; set February 27th goose: 28 to 32 days to hatch; set February 23rd - February 27th muscovy duck: 35 days to hatch; set February 20th emu: approx. 53 days to hatch - set Feb 2nd (for you "serious" hatchers)[/COLOR] Welcome to the 2016 Easter Hatch A Long! :frow Wel, did you get them? :idunno
[COLOR=0000FF]Hatching Particpant List is Current to Post 4230[/COLOR]
Thanks for that heads up
1f60a.png

Well darn! Just looked at the calendar and don't think I can set for Easter.

I'm picking up a dozen Blue Wheaten Ameraucana eggs thiss weekend, and will be starting them on Sunday evening, so count Monday as day 1.
I will top of the incubator with RIR and EE eggs from my RIR rooster over black Ameraucana hens.
Hopefully soon we will have a separate pen for the Ameraucanas and they can be bred by their blue rooster.

But unless I get a second incubator, I just don't see how I can have eggs set to hatch just two weeks after this batch.

Maybe I can find a cheap second one, and tell hubby it is a hatcher. :)
I have an extra LG turner, so could go with a cheaper one...

Well darn!  Just looked at the calendar and don't think I can set for Easter.

I'm picking up a dozen Blue Wheaten Ameraucana eggs thiss weekend, and will be starting them on Sunday evening, so count Monday as day 1.
I will top of the incubator with RIR and EE eggs from my RIR rooster over black Ameraucana hens.    
Hopefully soon we will have a separate pen for the Ameraucanas and they can be bred by their blue rooster.

But unless I get a second incubator, I just don't see how I can have eggs set to hatch just two weeks after this batch.  

Maybe I can find a cheap second one, and tell hubby it is a hatcher.   :)
I have an extra LG turner, so could go with a cheaper one...

Before I bought a cabinet incubator, I became a champ at stacking eggs on a turner... juuuuuuust sayin' :p

Aw I mis read. I thought you didn't think you would beale to fit them all... I wasn't thinking about the whole staggered hatch aspect

Last edited:
I'm running out of space. My 4 weeks old are too big for the brooder and my 17 weeks old are getting so big that they have almost no space.
Can I add the 17 weeks old to the adult coop?

Back
Top Bottom