The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Where'd you get them? And do they ship? ;) lol you guys make this so hard when DH2B is telling me I don't need any more breeds right now. He also doesn't understand my quest for true blue layers and a darker blue would be great! We currently have a very pale blue laying EE and a blue to blue green laying EE... Must have blue...

He also us regretting telling me I could up our flock number by ten birds this year putting us at 40, I figured I could slide under the radar with 41-42. Today he told me that just because he had upped the number I could have didn't mean I had to have that many birds... Someone please tell him that's exactly what that means. :) I know you all understand lol
Your EE look just like some of our girls from Cackle hatchery that we got through our local farm and fleet store. Love love love them.
Wait until they start laying to really judge their temperaments. Our girls were skittish at first too despite being handled with gentleness and care their whole lives they're ten months this month and they have all calmed down tremendously. Two are like dogs and follow us around and the other two are very sweet and easy to handle. They used to be nearly impossible to catch.

We've been planning on getting more from the same stock this year.(see above comment)

Here are two of our EE girls left is Olive and the right is Violet.
By that point I may have had more water than ice but I also had the incubator heater running too although I tried to angle that away. I now have the calibrated thermometer/hygrometer in there on the far side from the heating element and the greatest difference I've seen between the two thermometers was 1.5 degrees which the calibrated one doesn't do decimals so not too bad huh? I'm excited, should be setting tomorrow!
What kinds of eggs are these?
Well got my eggs from mypetchicken love the assortment beautiful eggs but no lavender Ameracaunas this time around. :( I really wanted a pullet but I guess there's always next time hope I can find some sometime.
I agree fill the four empty slots they're driving me crazy from here.

Show this to hubby.... ;)
(I was having way too much fun with the picture creator, and made a few others)

[COLOR=FF0000]Once you have set all of your eggs, please post in this hatch-a-long thread how many total eggs you set. [/COLOR]​

[COLOR=0000FF]Pictures are wonderful, as we all enjoy seeing eggs in the incubator, but please make it easy on Mike and post the total number set too. He has a lot of posts to record![/COLOR]

[COLOR=A52A2A]If you didn't set any eggs, please post that too, so we don't have to try to track you down.[/COLOR]

Ok! :thumbsup

Last edited:

Deadline for entry is April 5th, 2016 at midnight PST

Contest #8

Natural Egg Photo Contest!
7th Annual Easter Hatch-a-long!

LL

2015 winner @JoyfulPromise

This contest is for photos of poultry eggs in their natural state no dying or altering allowed.
The eggs can be from chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, swans, quail, guineas, peafowl, pheasants, or any other type of poultry. Use as many different types as you wish! Take photos of your eggs in interesting arrangements and settings!
Please read the RULES below!

1st Place:
Beautifully Farm Themed Quilted Table Runner!
courtesy of @campingshaws

<insert final image when completed>

Work in progress!! Final images to come!
Teaser photo below!
Of the center 14” block of a chicken-themed table runner!

Thank you
@campingshaws​

2nd Place:
Pretty Rainbow Hatching eggs!
(2 Welsummers, 2 Salmon Faverolles, 2 olive eggers)
courtesy of @Sahwithchicks

LL

3rd Place
6 MONTH GFM

Here are a few of the initial upgrades you’ll get as a Gold Feather Member:
1. Double PM storage space
2. 10 Times more image storage space on BYC’s servers
3. A new title: Golden Feather Member
4. or The ability to choose your own custom title
5. Your username highlighted on the BYC Forum index and within forum threads.
6. First peek at new features and specials before we roll them out to the rest of the members.
7. Access to a private forum to discuss new features and specials.
For a list of all the upgrades, please visit the Membership Benefits Page

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...eir-babies-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long
Deadline for entry is April 1st, 2016 at midnight PST

Contest #6
Broodies & their babies!
7th Annual Easter Hatch-a-long!

93a34dba_T56A0386c-copy.jpeg

2013 winner @Contrastphoto

Who doesn’t love seeing a mother hen with her chicks?
Show us your best pictures of your Broody Hen and her babies.
2 Picture entries per contestant
The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges
To submit your entries, follow rules below and
post your photos in this thread!

1st Prize
Beautiful Homemade Wooden Pen
courtesy of @Pensmaster

LL

2nd Prize
4 bars of homemade soap
courtesy of @Sahwithchicks

LL

3rd Prize

6 MONTH GFM

Here are a few of the initial upgrades you’ll get as a Gold Feather Member:
1. Double PM storage space
2. 10 Times more image storage space on BYC’s servers
3. A new title: Golden Feather Member
4. or The ability to choose your own custom title
5. Your username highlighted on the BYC Forum index and within forum threads.
6. First peek at new features and specials before we roll them out to the rest of the members.
7. Access to a private forum to discuss new features and specials.
For a list of all the upgrades, please visit the Membership Benefits Page

@chickendreams24 - I got my hatching eggs from a lady in Oxford, MI. She was on a local Poultry and livestock FB page. I don't know if she ships - Do you want me to ask her? She had very reasonable prices for her hatching eggs, considering the rarer breeds!
big_smile.png

Ok, I set my eggs for the Easter Hatch-along this morning! I didn't get a picture of the extra 8 that were on another tray, but here is the main tray of 49...

Included in this setting are...

12 Bielefelders
13 Jubilee Orpingtons
8 Swedish Flower Hens
6 Blue/Black Copper French Marans
5 Wheaten Ameraucanas
5 Silkies
5 Buff Orpington
3 Wheaten AM x Polish

For a Grand Total of 57 eggs

I also candled the first tray of eggs set last week - EXCELLENT fertility in most of them, including my Wheaten AM x Leghorn project
yesss.gif
, but my Buff Orpingtons were all clear!
sad.png
I guess it was too early or they were in too small of a pen for my rooster - he did fine last year. I will give him a few more chances to prove himself.
wink.png

Ok, I set my eggs for the Easter Hatch-along this morning! I didn't get a picture of the extra 8 that were on another tray, but here is the main tray of 49...

Included in this setting are...

12 Bielefelders
13 Jubilee Orpingtons
8 Swedish Flower Hens
6 Blue/Black Copper French Marans
5 Wheaten Ameraucanas
5 Silkies
5 Buff Orpington
3 Wheaten AM x Polish

For a Grand Total of 57 eggs

I also candled the first tray of eggs set last week - EXCELLENT fertility in most of them, including my Wheaten AM x Leghorn project
yesss.gif
, but my Buff Orpingtons were all clear!
sad.png
I guess it was too early or they were in too small of a pen for my rooster - he did fine last year. I will give him a few more chances to prove himself.
wink.png
Beautiful Eggs!!!!

Back
Top Bottom