The 7th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-A-Long!

Fixin to give em away cuz I ain't got no time to list em today.
hugs.gif
@LocalYokel

Having incubator trouble. I got a second thermometer and noticed my temps were 2 degrees too low. I was also told by someone who has the same incubator that they keep theirs at 101 and won't worry about lowering the temp unless it reaches 104 since it fluctuates. Well 102 freaks me out and my bator ranges from 100 to 102. I candled my hatch-a-long chicks Friday and more than half had blood rings! I am devistated! The ones that I saw movement were located furthest from the heater. I thought I was doing everything right, but now I am convinced my temp was too high. Since Friday I lowered my temp to 100.
With a still air incubator, you need to move your eggs around every couple of days so that none are in the 'hot' spots and none are in the 'cool' spots the whole time.

So I need a fan? I never knew I needed to move them around. I would love to have an 80% hatch rate, but I can't even break 50%. I do learn more and more every time I go through this. I was really looking forward to this hatch because my incubator is nearly full and I fixed one of my incubating issues only to cause another.

So I need a fan? I never knew I needed to move them around. I would love to have an 80% hatch rate, but I can't even break 50%. I do learn more and more every time I go through this. I was really looking forward to this hatch because my incubator is nearly full and I fixed one of my incubating issues only to cause another.
You don't NEED a fan, but it certainly does make things a bit easier. One less thing to worry about.

I candled all 72 eggs last night and pulled 16, mostly shipped ones. That's not the news though...

The news is that in the process of candling one of the incubators came unplugged. I didn't notice it until 8 hours later. It was the one with all my homegrown eggs in it. (Isbar and Isabelle leghorn which are sold already) 21 of them!
he.gif

Does anyone know when the critical point is for toe and foot development? It was 62 degrees when I found it this morning, because I had turned the AC on last night to try to get the humidity down in the house. Things is I didn't change the thermostat from when the heat was on, so it was freezing cold this morning.

I do know when I have gotten chicks that had incubator problems the foot and toe problems took about 6 weeks to show up. I don't want to sell anybody chicks that are going to develop that! Guess I am keeping more than I had planned on, at least for 6 weeks.

I should have gone to bed before I candled and turned on the AC. Just couldn't sleep....IDK.

I candled all 72 eggs last night and pulled 16, mostly shipped ones. That's not the news though...

The news is that in the process of candling one of the incubators came unplugged. I didn't notice it until 8 hours later. It was the one with all my homegrown eggs in it. (Isbar and Isabelle leghorn which are sold already) 21 of them!
he.gif

Does anyone know when the critical point is for toe and foot development? It was 62 degrees when I found it this morning, because I had turned the AC on last night to try to get the humidity down in the house. Things is I didn't change the thermostat from when the heat was on, so it was freezing cold this morning.

I do know when I have gotten chicks that had incubator problems the foot and toe problems took about 6 weeks to show up. I don't want to sell anybody chicks that are going to develop that! Guess I am keeping more than I had planned on, at least for 6 weeks.

I should have gone to bed before I candled and turned on the AC. Just couldn't sleep....IDK.
Embryonic Development, Day by Day click HERE
hugs.gif

Yesterday was day 7 for my eggs, I pulled one clear, and one with a blood ring. The last two are developing nicely.
big_smile.png
I also set 2 BBred Rosecomb eggs on the 10th, but those don't make the deadline.

Embryonic Development, Day by Day click HERE
hugs.gif

It was day 8 for them-

Looks like I messed up big time for leg development. I think I have done everything wrong, that could be done wrong, at least once with incubation!

Day 8: The vitelline membrane covers almost the whole yolk. Eye pigmentation is readily visible. The beak’s upper and lower parts are differentiated, as well as the wings and legs. The neck stretches and the brain is completely settled in its cavity. Opening of the external auditory canal.

Back
Top Bottom