The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Pictures of a few of the chicks.

My next hatch will be hopefully around 20 cochins, 5 Bielefelders, 12 Bresse, 5 Icelandic & 5 Swedish Flower Hens. And that's if I save eggs for a week before, hopefully one day I will be able to load all 3 incubators full equating to over 100 eggs

Aww, a bator song sounds adorable! Oh, the things we do for our chickens. I gave up trying to look like a normal human being am while ago. Chickens are in my blood and everybody I know that isn't on BYC thinks I'm a total geek.
lau.gif
My husband thought I was just the crazy one, now he realizes I'm not alone
lau.gif
and for him that is scary.

but when the chicks hatch and they are still in the bator drying and I start singing they all perk up the their best ability and try to come to my voice, see I turn my eggs so when I'm tipping the bator that is when I sing to them, I have an octagon brinsea

Last edited:
Started 41 eggs on 3/25/17 in a Hovabator Genesis 1588. (With fan & digital readout which I confirmed calibration)

24 Black, Blue & Splash Marans
12 Bielefelders
4 EE
1 Red Star

Results:
4 EE hatched. 1 assisted out after 24 hrs on 4/15 which died.
8 Bielefelders hatched. 2 Full Term Quiters, 2 Yolkers (4 females & 4 males alive)
16 Marans hatched. 6 full Term Quiters, 1 early Quiter, 1 Yolker, 1 on the hatchlings died @ day 2.
Red Star was a Yolker.

1 EE hatched on 4/13. 3 on 4/14.
The Marans & Bielefelders started on 4/14 and hatched most by 4/15.
After waiting 18 hrs, with no progress I assisted 3 Marans and 1 Bielefelder on 4/16.
Looked like they were all going to die, but they made it 24 hrs & appears to be doing fine.

Bielefelders are an autosex breed, so I can tell I got 4 males and 4 females.
Don't know about the others.

I would sure like to know why I had to help 4 and why the 8 full term chicks died in their shells.
The humidity (55-65%) & temperature (99.8-100.2) were within range as far as I know. However, by the last day, the unit had an unpleasant odor.
The 4 which I helped had pipped large holes, but seemed to have the membrane trying to stick to them.

Started 41 eggs on 3/25/17 in a Hovabator Genesis 1588. (With fan & digital readout which I confirmed calibration) 24 Black, Blue & Splash Marans 12 Bielefelders 4 EE 1 Red Star Results: 4 EE hatched. 1 assisted out after 24 hrs on 4/15 which died. 8 Bielefelders hatched. 2 Full Term Quiters, 2 Yolkers (4 females & 4 males alive) 16 Marans hatched. 6 full Term Quiters, 1 early Quiter, 1 Yolker, 1 on the hatchlings died @ day 2. Red Star was a Yolker. 1 EE hatched on 4/13. 3 on 4/14. The Marans & Bielefelders started on 4/14 and hatched most by 4/15. After waiting 18 hrs, with no progress I assisted 3 Marans and 1 Bielefelder on 4/16. Looked like they were all going to die, but they made it 24 hrs & appears to be doing fine. Bielefelders are an autosex breed, so I can tell I got 4 males and 4 females. Don't know about the others. I would sure like to know why I had to help 4 and why the 8 full term chicks died in their shells. The humidity (55-65%) & temperature (99.8-100.2) were within range as far as I know. However, by the last day, the unit had an unpleasant odor. The 4 which I helped had pipped large holes, but seemed to have the membrane trying to stick to them.
Sounds like maybe the eggs did not loose enough humidity during incubation. Recommendation is to keep humidity at 45 percent until lock down. I find running them a bit drier than that prevents late dead in shell and sticky chicks that need help.

Back
Top Bottom