The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

2 chicks hatched last night. I'm very impressed with the foot feathering on the 2 so far.
The 4 other eggs are pipped

Reasons for drawn out hatches? Most hatched yesterday. But the fist pip was thurs (malpositioned). Today theirs still 2 pipped and sometimes working on it and 1 still candled active in shell but no pip or anything.
Let's see... cool and hot spots in the incubator and age of the eggs come to mind. The older the eggs, the longer they take to hatch. If I remember right, I think it is about an hour longer for every day older on the egg. And eggs that are incubated mostly in the hot spots will hatch faster and those incubated mostly in the cool spots will take longer to hatch. And, if you have your older eggs in the cool spots and your newer eggs in the hot spots, you could end up with quite a drawn out hatch. Another reason for a drawn out hatch is that chicks can't read and don't know that they are supposed to take 21 days to hatch.
lol.png
Some breeds hatch faster than others. Nature is naturally variable.

t6311.gif
Total hatched for me is 23!
frow.gif
Hi Mary!

My total chicks hatched is 4 out of 5 viable. I just eggtopsied the last one and it quit at about the halfway point.

When do we start again MWAHAHAHAHAHA!
lau.gif

Here's little Jolene enjoying yesterday's sunshine!

Cute! You mean you haven't already started again?!?!
hu.gif

Reasons for drawn out hatches? Most hatched yesterday. But the fist pip was thurs (malpositioned). Today theirs still 2 pipped and sometimes working on it and 1 still candled active in shell but no pip or anything.
Most common reason is temperature too low during the first 18 days. It can also be caused by poor breeder health and shipping stress.

If they are from your flock, treat for parasytes and feed them better--add something like calf mana and feed should be flock raiser type with free choice calcium.

And, get a better thermometer. Most of the thermometers folks use are pretty terrible.

Brinsea makes a good one but watch for battery case issues. If so, get them to send you a new one.

My total hatch is 17. Which I don't think is too bad because I only counted on 25 hatching. I didn't have much hope in the 15 Hyline Brown doing anything so all in all I'm tickled!

Back
Top Bottom