The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Since I have had turkey, geese, and guinea we don't have issues with birds of prey. Our largest is the red tails, and there are a few bald eagles in the state but not my area. Geese will go after them, as will the guinea and turkey. None of these birds are a match for a stray dog or coyote, period. This only applied to adults also, not goslings, keets or poults. We have 5 acres and all my birds freely range the property. I keep flocks of each, 14 geese, around 25 guinea and 10 or so turkeys. I only confine my birds during breeding season so my breeds stay pure.

Thanks , I do know that they wouldn't stand a chance against a coyote or even a raccoon (maybe)
and we have a lot of trees around our yard(we have a half acre fenced backyard)and we frequently see hawks.I was just worried even though the breed of duck I would be getting is 3-4 pounds , I have heard of hawks killing and eating larger birds on the ground.Quick question;Are the Africans quieter than the Chinese?I'm considering the African , but we have semiclose neighbors and can't have a very loud breed.

Can anyone help me out here please?Recently got a pair of Chine Show Geese last eek Gretel laid one egg had nothing to with it we left it all now yesterday she lade 3 in a make shift nest laid on the half the day and today she turned them but no sitting on them and Hamel gets aggressive towards only men that go near them and he has not been this way. Any suggestions on what we should do?
Add the first egg to the rest. Is the nest in a safe location for goslings?
Hamel will be assertive/aggressive towards you, or anyone else unless you teach him you are the alpha. If he charges you, NOW you have to be strong. Grasp his neck just below his head firmly but not to choke him. Use your other arm to quickly cover those wings and hold them to his body. Hold him, I am little so I have to pin them down.. This is how ganders establish who is boss, and tells him, YOU ARE! Its not cruel, its the language geese use to establish pecking order in the flock. Its actually more gentle, ganders FLOG each other with their wings. its painful to experience, trust me. Once you or anyone else in your immediate family establish dominance with Hamel, you are the alpha, he will accept you/them checking on the nest he is guarding and his Gretel.

Question for you all.
I have a pair of white Chinese and a trio of sets in one flock and 7 mixed geese in another flock. Somehow the two white Chinese have gotten separated and bonded with different partners.
So how easy will it be to separate the two white Chinese and get them to bond with each other again? I'd like to breed them pure otherwise I wouldn't care.
Thanks
You will have to separate the pair, they will do what they want and choose who they want to be "with" otherwise. I keep 3 breeds and separate them every season. I have 2 mixed chinese/embden hens because one of my embdens flew over a 6 foot fence to see her favorite brown chinese gander! Found her in the pen a few times and covered her pen after that. 2 goslings hatched with brown feet and markings
wink.png

Odd you call them almost by his name lol he is hansel and she us Gretel and laid another egg today so I did put last weeks in hat best so now 5 total great safe nest. He is not aggressive with me nor any other female just the men around here does his funny head down dance but all good thanks fir the help just hope she will sit when ready

Add the first egg to the rest. Is the nest in a safe location for goslings?
Hamel will be assertive/aggressive towards you, or anyone else unless you teach him you are the alpha. If he charges you, NOW you have to be strong. Grasp his neck just below his head firmly but not to choke him. Use your other arm to quickly cover those wings and hold them to his body. Hold him, I am little so I have to pin them down.. This is how ganders establish who is boss, and tells him, YOU ARE! Its not cruel, its the language geese use to establish pecking order in the flock. Its actually more gentle, ganders FLOG each other with their wings. its painful to experience, trust me. Once you or anyone else in your immediate family establish dominance with Hamel, you are the alpha, he will accept you/them checking on the nest he is guarding and his Gretel.

You will have to separate the pair, they will do what they want and choose who they want to be "with" otherwise. I keep 3 breeds and separate them every season.d her pen after that. 2 goslings hatched with brown feet and marking I have 2 mixed chinese/embden hens because one of my embdens flew over a 6 foot fence to see her favorite brown chinese gander! Found her in the pen a few times and coveres
wink.png
I bet they are pretty though .

Oh, just gorgeous! One resembles a cotton patch, the other almost looks like an american buff. Both are large hens, will try to get pics. They both inherited their mothers speech, they have an embden sound rather than chinese. Much larger than the mother too, she is a super tiny embden not even 9 pounds is my guess.
I'd love to see some pics of them.

Just got 4 goslings in from Ideal! It was a straight run variety pack so it had some white and brown Chinese and Brown African. Ready to see how they do!

Back
Top Bottom