The African and Chinese goose thread!!

I did put my gander with my chickens and they seem to enjoy each other!
1f60a.png
He has taken over as guard and I can trust him completely with protecting them. They have a large run with plenty of water and a pool for him to bathe in. He is only a year old. I think he is okay. He doesn't talk much, but he interact with the chickens sometimes.

Last edited:
I did put my gander with my chickens and they seem to enjoy each other!
1f60a.png
He has taken over as guard and I can trust him completely with protecting them. They have a large run with plenty of water and a pool for him to bathe in. He is only a year old. I think he is okay. He doesn't talk much, but he interact with the chickens sometimes.

He is just lonely from what I am assuming. He will be happier just having purpose and a flock to care for. Goose hens tend to talk more than ganders from what I see in my flocks.

So my gosling left this weekend with her pekin friend, and another pekin born without an eye and ear. DD keeps the birds more for eggs and pets, so "cotton eye Joe" will be kept as a pet. Its actually a she, so will be providing eggs and have a good life.
My Dad was a little disappointed to see the gosling go, but understood she needed a flock to join. Am really missing her already but my all adult geese just weren't willing to accept her. Neighbors Buff goose has hatched a few goslings, looks like DD will get one for a companion next weekend.

I know this is gonna sound very paranoid, but someone had taken an odd intrest in my geese especially when there are out in the field eating.
At first i didn't think anything of it, but today they made 4 passes up and down the road very slow, they didn't know i was in the yard until i yelled at the dogs then they sped off. Anyone else ever have this problem??
idunno.gif
Any advice would be welcome ty.

I know this is gonna sound very paranoid, but someone had taken an odd intrest in my geese especially when there are out in the field eating.
At first i didn't think anything of it, but today they made 4 passes up and down the road very slow, they didn't know i was in the yard until i yelled at the dogs then they sped off. Anyone else ever have this problem??
idunno.gif
Sounds like someone maybe looking to nab some geese, or could just be admiring them but I would be very cautious and keep a close eye on things hopefully they are locked up tight at night right? i tend to worry to much but honestly this sounds worrisome.

So my gosling left this weekend with her pekin friend, and another pekin born without an eye and ear. DD keeps the birds more for eggs and pets, so "cotton eye Joe" will be kept as a pet. Its actually a she, so will be providing eggs and have a good life.
My Dad was a little disappointed to see the gosling go, but understood she needed a flock to join. Am really missing her already but my all adult geese just weren't willing to accept her. Neighbors Buff goose has hatched a few goslings, looks like DD will get one for a companion next weekend.
Sounds like they all went to a great home and now the lil one will have a buddy too. Maybe you can post some pics of them all. I'd love to see them.

idunno.gif
Nope not paranoid at all! I would sure try to get a plate number and good description. Hopefully you will not have a problem.
I have gawkers a lot here too, there is a new grade school right up the road from us. We had problems with kids on bikes, and I have actually had people abandon cats and dogs here too. Worst case was about a dozen guinea that turned up one morning.
I had been gone all weekend when mom was in the hospital, and came home missing several free range roosters. No feathers, no signs of anything happening. Just gone. Granted, they were not breeders just extras. Had a very strong suspicion someone took them for a meal. All my birds are raised like pets, and have no fear of anyone.

Keep in mind everyone with the high heat indexes geese need us to be attentive to cool water. I save back empty water bottles and freeze them to put in the buckets and pools. Bonus is they play with them, like to bite at the bottles lol. Older birds need more attention as well as livestock, other poultry and waterfowl.

Back
Top Bottom