The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Pics
You are lucky that they are so tame. Frankie is our tamest. He will come up and talk to us but he does not like to be held. Part of the problem is that between the ducks, chickens and geese there is nowhere that is safe to sit.

Now they are older they still come to me and like to hang around me but being held is something else. Lucy will oblige but I can tell she is not all that thrilled. If I sit in the grass they come right over and wait for me to pull grass and feed it to them. That is how I check their feet too.

Hi everyone. I have 5 geese 3 African 1 Chinese and a undetermined white one. I have attached pics. My question is the African geese seem to have yellowish whitening on the beaks is this normal they are all about 4 months old. and its just the Africans my china goose has no blemishes on her black beak. is this normal is there something wrong with them???
I have noticed the same thing with mine. Our 3 white chinese babies have worn spots on their little beaks. It might be because they are very nosey. The brown geese don't seem as curious.

Here are my babies from this year at 4 & 1/2 mos old
Minnie my only girl out of the first 3 hatched

Mickey a gander

Dixie who turned out to be a Gander and if i didnt know better id say he was an african hes huge already bigger than his dad

Dixie and his girlfriend Hail(3 1/2 mos) he picked Hail, Stormy and Rain for his group and is really protective of them

Martha Dixies Foster momma asking which is my good side?

And just cause hes cute and was trying to get close to his momma(me) Tucker who had a mouth full of chicken because it got in between us lol

I have 2 flocks of geese, 1 Sebastopol and Sebastopol crosses and 1 of African. I incubator hatch the eggs and brood the goslings until 2-3 weeks old then put them out with the flock(s). This year I only kept and raised 1 African gosling so she was raised with the Seebie babies. When I started trying to move her in with the Africans she was very opposed to the idea and kept escaping to be with "her flock". Once all the goslings were near full size and breeding season was over I turned both flocks out together free range during the day and closed them in a large, open area in the barn at night. Interestingly, the little African has now joined the flock of Africans and even paired up with one of the ganders. I have extra ganders with each flock so it wasn't a matter of who was looking for a mate and I have noticed that the flocks seem to "speak" differently, but I just find it fascinating that she figured out which flock she should be in. "Birds of a feather..." I guess.

Val

If anyone knows where to find one, I'd really like to get Clair Booth Goose a Gander to fill the hole in her life from when SOMETHING got Touloose.

Back
Top Bottom