The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Here are my four geese. I was told they were all Chinese from the people I got them from but on another forum was told they were Chinese/African crosses. They can stretch their necks out farther then even in the picture, but tend to scrunch it down when it is cold. Here is my dilemma. I am going to refer to them in number order from left to right. They have names but I don't want to confuse anyone with trying to keep it straight. Goose 1 (brown), 2 (white), 3 (brown with largest knob), 4 (brown with smallest knob).

Goose 1 and 2 are older and were supposed to be females (that is why we later got 3 and 4). Last summer I witnessed 1 mating 2 (read online this could be a dominance display, especially as they were rehomed and had to reestablish pecking order, now I am not so sure). We did find a goose egg at the bottom of the pond as well. We were told that 1 did all the setting and raising of the goslings at their old owners place (they were in a run with five other geese of other breeds but the owner also admitted to not paying much attention to these are her main focus were her sebbies). We then got goose 3 and 4 (they were hatched last Mother's Day and we got them in the summer from a different breeder then the other two came from) and goose 1 took them to raise as they were goose raised and did not want anything to do with us, 2 helped but 1 did most the work. Last fall, 2 laid us about nine eggs and attempted to set but the eggs weren't fertile. But now 1 is bullying 3 and picking at the feathers at the base of its neck and chasing it off from the other two. I am getting two eggs a day. I am pretty sure 2 and 4 are my females. I have witnessed 1 mating all three of the others. Will a male mate another male? I was told that a male will go for the head of other males and try to kill them that way not their backs. I have not seen or heard any fighting, 1 will pick at 3 until it leaves or is far enough from the others and then 1 leaves 3 alone.

I have watched these geese for hours for the "signs" that say they are either male or female and it seems that all of them display the traits at one time or another. I can say that 1 and 3 are more alert when out feeding. 3 will alert on anything including cars that drive by when they are feeding in the lower yard near the road. 1 walks more upright and for longer periods of time. I have been hissed at by 1 and 3, mostly when I am close to the goose coop to get the eggs or too close to the females in their run. I have found 1 and 4 in the goose coop on the eggs. The knobs are bigger on 1 and 3 and the head and neck of 3 is bigger then the others.

Are they chinese or chinese/african crosses?
Will a male set and raise goslings?
Are 1 and 3 males?
Will a male mate another male?

Here are my four geese. I was told they were all Chinese from the people I got them from but on another forum was told they were Chinese/African crosses. They can stretch their necks out farther then even in the picture, but tend to scrunch it down when it is cold. Here is my dilemma. I am going to refer to them in number order from left to right. They have names but I don't want to confuse anyone with trying to keep it straight. Goose 1 (brown), 2 (white), 3 (brown with largest knob), 4 (brown with smallest knob).

Goose 1 and 2 are older and were supposed to be females (that is why we later got 3 and 4). Last summer I witnessed 1 mating 2 (read online this could be a dominance display, especially as they were rehomed and had to reestablish pecking order, now I am not so sure). We did find a goose egg at the bottom of the pond as well. We were told that 1 did all the setting and raising of the goslings at their old owners place (they were in a run with five other geese of other breeds but the owner also admitted to not paying much attention to these are her main focus were her sebbies). We then got goose 3 and 4 (they were hatched last Mother's Day and we got them in the summer from a different breeder then the other two came from) and goose 1 took them to raise as they were goose raised and did not want anything to do with us, 2 helped but 1 did most the work. Last fall, 2 laid us about nine eggs and attempted to set but the eggs weren't fertile. But now 1 is bullying 3 and picking at the feathers at the base of its neck and chasing it off from the other two. I am getting two eggs a day. I am pretty sure 2 and 4 are my females. I have witnessed 1 mating all three of the others. Will a male mate another male? I was told that a male will go for the head of other males and try to kill them that way not their backs. I have not seen or heard any fighting, 1 will pick at 3 until it leaves or is far enough from the others and then 1 leaves 3 alone.

I have watched these geese for hours for the "signs" that say they are either male or female and it seems that all of them display the traits at one time or another. I can say that 1 and 3 are more alert when out feeding. 3 will alert on anything including cars that drive by when they are feeding in the lower yard near the road. 1 walks more upright and for longer periods of time. I have been hissed at by 1 and 3, mostly when I am close to the goose coop to get the eggs or too close to the females in their run. I have found 1 and 4 in the goose coop on the eggs. The knobs are bigger on 1 and 3 and the head and neck of 3 is bigger then the others.

Are they chinese or chinese/african crosses?
Will a male set and raise goslings?
Are 1 and 3 males?
Will a male mate another male?

Number three really looks like a male. The white one looks female? And one and four look pretty young, I cant tell from the picture for sure.

Last edited:
3 seems the most like a male. I really don't know though. I could almost believe anything. 2 female. 4 female. 1 most likely female. 3 not sure could be male or female. The fact that it is so hard makes me wonder if all four are females. Africans are usually easy to sex by their age.

Please don't hold this gooses condition against me. It was given to me in a rescue situation. I was told it was a female Chinese of about 2 years of age. When I ask what was hoping on with the being I was told the previous owner had fed it extra protein to cause it to have what is called Angle Wing and only had enough protein to do one wing. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I have ducks, chickens, and turkeys, but this is my only goose. So far it is non aggressive and relatively quiet.

Back
Top Bottom