The African and Chinese goose thread!!

I have a very ANGRY Chinese gander and his lovely wifey, an African goose.

Cheep cheep as we affectionately call momma, is not a broody bird for sure, so we are going to try artificial incubation.

I was just wondering if anyone has had a successful hatch with a mix breed?
An african should go broody, how old is she? Chinese usually aren't as docile as Africans.
As far as a mixed breed between african and chinese, they are so close to the same that they readily breed. You can even breed one of them to a toulouse or one like that successfully

An african should go broody, how old is she?  Chinese usually aren't as docile as Africans.
As far as a mixed breed between african and chinese, they are so close to the same that they readily breed. You can even breed one of them to a toulouse or one like that successfully 

She is a year old tomorrow.

Cheep cheep as we affectionately call momma, is not a broody bird for sure, so we are going to try artificial incubation.

Asiatic geese and european geese cross-breed readlily, there are loads of them around here. African and Chinese have similar ancestry, so no probs. Cross-bred birds are often stronger birds.

See the two in the back? They are African/Toulouse cross. Apparently the Toulouse is dominant genetically with this group. Albus is in back, and he's the Gander. Adele on the Right is the girl. She's got the more mottled beak. The only real way you can tell they are cross breeds is the strip of darker feathers down the backs of their necks. Molly, in front is the Mom and Gingi is the Dad. He's an African gander.

I'm not sure if this is where I should post this, I'm hoping someone will have some advice.
I have a saddleback goose that has been sitting faithfully on her nest. Her sister Darla also has been "sharing" the same nest, laying her eggs in there and sitting or rather "crowding" her way on the nest as well. I've been removing Darlas eggs and setting them in a nest that I've made right next to her sister, she doesn't care, Darla wants to be IN the nest with her sister. Ugh... According to my calculations I knew eggs should be hatching any day. I went to check on the nest tonight and two eggs are in the process of hatching! Upon further inspection I could see further down in the nest more towards the bottom a baby had hatched and was dead..... I'm guessing it was suffocated? It was fully formed and completely normal looking. I've moved Darla out and she cannot get back in. I'm really worried and stressed about the hatching babies! Won't they be at risk for suffocating under the goose? She's dutifully sitting on the nest like nothins goin on under her.....meanwhile I want to take the hatching eggs out! Does anyone have any advice? I'm hoping that she knows what to do and how to do it....I don't have an incubator and I don't want to do anything to harm the hatching babies......

Back
Top Bottom