The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Miss Lydia- no signs of attack, I have the ONE gosling that has successfully hatched!
Iain utah-
I think you are on to something! Bcuz the last two have been found dead in the shell, like they were 3/4 hatched then something went wrong. The membrane/shell was stuck like cement to the side of their heads.....BOTH THE SAME EXACT WAY!
crap! Is that my fault for taking momma off the nest to investigate? Even though only for a moment? Not even a full minute? Ugh.....
AHHHHHH! So frustrating! Where's the emoticon for pulling my hair out!?

Fowlmama, that is exactly what shrinkwrap is. I would take a spray bottle filled with super warm water and give the remaining three eggs a really good spray down, then hope momma goose sits right back down on them.

Ok so I ordered these goslings. My local feed store doesn't have waterfowl starter but said that flock raiser would work. I bought a bag of that and wanted to know if that is ok to feed them.

Ok so I ordered these goslings. My local feed store doesn't have waterfowl starter but said that flock raiser would work. I bought a bag of that and wanted to know if that is ok to feed them.
I've always used Flock raiser crumble with all my flock including babies. be sure to offer grit and give lots of finely chopped Romaine for extra niacin for strong little legs.

Last edited:
Thank a bunch!
Quote: I've always used Flock raiser crumble with all my flock including babies. be sure to offer grit and give lots of finely chopped Romaine for extra niacin for strong little legs.

Last edited:
Miss Lydia- no signs of attack, I have the ONE gosling that has successfully hatched!
Iain utah-
I think you are on to something! Bcuz the last two have been found dead in the shell, like they were 3/4 hatched then something went wrong. The membrane/shell was stuck like cement to the side of their heads.....BOTH THE SAME EXACT WAY!
crap! Is that my fault for taking momma off the nest to investigate? Even though only for a moment? Not even a full minute? Ugh.....
AHHHHHH! So frustrating! Where's the emoticon for pulling my hair out!?
Strange for them to be shrink-wrapped under the goose! does she have access to water?
None of it´s your fault, none of it´s the goose´s fault. It´s just first-timers all round, lack of experience. We all have to learn it.
Now, if you were to take them indoors you´d really have to keep an eye on them not geting the membrane drying on them, but I´m surprised this happened with the goose, unless she didn´t have access to bathing water. Was the membrane dry, like white paper? It´ll need very regular spraying if it´s like this, but the way I did it in the tub worked a treat, kept nice and damp, didn´t lose one of them.
How are they doing now?

Last edited:
Strange for them to be shrink-wrapped under the goose!  does she have access to water?  
None of it´s your fault, none of it´s the goose´s fault.  It´s just first-timers  all round, lack of experience.  We all have to learn it.  
Now, if you were to take them indoors you´d really have to keep an eye on them not geting the membrane drying on them, but I´m surprised this happened with the goose, unless she didn´t have access to bathing water.  Was the membrane dry, like white paper?  It´ll need very regular spraying if it´s like this, but the way I did it in the tub worked a treat, kept nice and damp, didn´t lose one of them.
How are they doing now?  

LB,
Yes she has access to water at all times and she can bathe in it if she so chooses.
Yes it looked like dried paper on parts of them. So devastating to lose them after fighting so hard to hatch....it crushes my heart....
I did go out and spray the eggs like you suggested, how often do you think I should do this? She dutifully got right back on the nest after I sprayed them.....such a devoted momma.....
I think we're narrowing in on a name for our survivor.....Sloan .....Scottish for warrior....works for boy or girl

Back
Top Bottom