The African and Chinese goose thread!!

She will go after the cats if they try, but no guarantee she can protect them, if they should wander away from her.. Typically both will stay put with the mother, but things happen. I have one duckling that chases bumblebees, and then peeps loudly because he gets "lost"! My barn cat fortunately knows all birds are hands off and usually hangs out by the coops.

She isn't letting anything near them. Unfortunately she is taking them out of my fence. They can go through the chain link and she can't. She has angel wing so flying is out of the question. Yesterday evening when I got them back in one was moving slow and having trouble keeping up. At lock up I found that sane one stuck between the duck house and the bantam coop. I a 2inch crack with wire on both sides. I got him out and he was cold. I put him in the brooder with the turkey poults she hatched for the night to warm up. Going out now to check on it.

Happy Mothers Day.

Quote: Happy mothers day everyone!!! Hope alls well for the babies.

Quote: I am very interested in calls. The east indie and the breed that lays a black egg, Cayuga.
My scovies are hatching well since I got the sportsman cabinet, finally!!!
Pekins hatch, every egg period.. Stopped setting them! I will be eating a lot of duck this year, ugh. Keep posting on craigslist and nobody seems interested in pekins. We haven't processed any yet so I am not sure how I feel about it. Ducks and geese have always been more of a pet for me, but we are working towards not buying any thing at the grocery stores anymore.
I have a horribly mean embden gander that has topped my list! I am really regretting getting that breed.
My Dad likes them, but I am fed up with this ganders crazy attacks. He may be the first to go to the freezer here. I am glad he protects the other geese but its getting to be a daily fight with him. He charges, I pin him. Need ideas..This gander has no fear and is actually the bottom of the pecking order. he is without tail feathers from fighting so much!

Happy mothers day everyone!!! Hope alls well for the babies.

I am very interested in calls. The east indie and the breed that lays a black egg, Cayuga.
Pekins hatch, every egg period.. Stopped setting them! I will be eating a lot of duck this year, ugh. Keep posting on craigslist and nobody seems interested in pekins. We haven't processed any yet so I am not sure how I feel about it. Ducks and geese have always been more of a pet for me, but we are working towards not buying any thing at the grocery stores anymore.
I have a horribly mean embden gander that has topped my list! I am really regretting getting that breed.
My Dad likes them, but I am fed up with this ganders crazy attacks. He may be the first to go to the freezer here. I am glad he protects the other geese but its getting to be a daily fight with him. He charges, I pin him. Need ideas..This gander has no fear and is actually the bottom of the pecking order. he is without tail feathers from fighting so much!
My mallard drake is the same way! He was raised in my bedroom for 2 months and he loved me for the longest time and now he attacks everything! I might end up setting some turkey eggs under my goose

I have an unknown drake that looks like a black american duck. he wants to mate chickens.. period. So he is going to a community that feeds the ducks.. enjoys them being there. My brother is going to release him on the pond at his apartment. Poor drake,,,He just is not normal! And is not working here, not risking my chicken hens for him. I would rather he go there than to process him. He was an egg I found on our pond and have no idea what duck laid it. It could have been a wild duck or a cross.

Happy mothers day everyone!!! Hope alls well for the babies.

I am very interested in calls. The east indie and the breed that lays a black egg, Cayuga.

I am picking up a pair of special order female Cayuga ducklings this Thursday. A feed store that orders tons of chicks added them to their weekly order for me. I think they said they are getting 6 female and 6 male Cayuga ducklings. So call feedstores and see if any will add what you want to your order. Now that I don't have Howard and Loudmouth, I may grabe an extra female duckling. Trying to find out if a hand raised drake will turn out with the same tendencies Howard had. I don't want a drake that will force my females to mate and injure them in the process as Howard did to Ebony. My hubby says get 1 baby drake and try, if he hurts anyone eat him, lol. Problem is I have a much harder time culling any animal I raised. That's why this years hand raised birds are all parent stock, with a few nasty roosters being the exception.

Can you pen the mean gander up for a while? Could maybe give him a female companion that isn't mated/bonded to another gander. If he is lowest on the pecking order he may be so mean because his hormones are telling him to breed and the other ganders won't let him. I am new to geese, so I could be very wrong, but I'd imagine that a sexually frustrated gander could turn viscous. As for pinning him, keep doing it when he gets out of line. Don't wait for him to charge either, if he looks like he is threatening you, go grab him and pin him down before he charges. My parents had to do this with their brown Chinese gander, Lucky, when I was a child. After a while, Lucky would put his body between my parents and the females and hiss, but never put his head down and charged again. Funny thing was, Lucky never attacked me only my parents and strangers, but Lucky did bite an old boyfriend ( a boy who was a close friend at this point and 2 years later we dated a bit) on his behind one day when the boy had me on the ground tickling me. Lucky charged from across the yard to bite him too, guess when I yelped hitting the ground Lucky saw and came running.. I loved that gander. Anyway, good luck. Hope you cans deal with your mean gander.

Last edited:
It is with a sad heart that I announce that Sissy, our favorite goose several days ago. Here she is with David . We hatched her 2 years ago and she really bonded with us. She was blind in one eye, but got along well.She hatched out 5 goslings last year, but had not laid an egg yet this year. We suspect that she might have had a stroke last week. Perhaps another one did her in last night. RIP Sissy girl.

Last edited:
I have an unknown drake that looks like a black american duck. he wants to mate chickens.. period. So he is going to a community that feeds the ducks.. enjoys them being there. My brother is going to release him on the pond at his apartment. Poor drake,,,He just is not normal! And is not working here, not risking my chicken hens for him. I would rather he go there than to process him. He was an egg I found on our pond and have no idea what duck laid it. It could have been a wild duck or a cross.
It sucks how the ones that are closest to you are the ones you have problems with.....but my goose is very sweet and lets me inspect her nest without question

Heavy wet snow here south of Pueblo, CO. My lil flock found it interesting..these are still babies..but sure are grown up.
They wait at the main gate for me to put them to bed , in their house, every nite!

Note the drag in the snow marks from Pekin duck! But she just keeps up with them ..

Supposed to be in the 70's by Friday..Gotta love Colorado!

Back
Top Bottom