The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Hopefully ya'll will dry out some and the rest of us will get a nice drenching no flooding though hopefully. that can be devastating here in the mountains.

Yeah flooding can be devastating. We nearly lost all of our hay that we had left over from this winter. That's a lot of money to lose.

My 1 yo African goose has stopped laying but always sits on the nest. She's never been aggressive with me,only with everything else. Before,she'd only go to the nest to lay an egg,then leave. The gander has calmed down quite a bit. Is this normal?

My 1 yo African goose has stopped laying but always sits on the nest. She's never been aggressive with me,only with everything else. Before,she'd only go to the nest to lay an egg,then leave. The gander has calmed down quite a bit. Is this normal?
If there aren't eggs in the nest maybe stirring the nest up and adding new bedding will motivate her to get up and get on with life. Sometimes it takes a while to get back into routine after laying for many months. Molt will start soon.

I am seeing changes in my 4 now ganders are getting calmer and the females are begining to be more relaxed although I still have one laying. It's not as intense as it was even a week ago. Much nicer all around especially for the rest of the flock.

Hello! I've been browsing around for quite some time. This is my first time owning geese. I am learning as I go and this site has been helpful in learning all there is to know. Here are some pictures of my geese.

This is Penny (who I think might be a gander but was told was a female out of my pair.)

After we lost Penny's partner, I decided to get her some friends so she wouldn't be the only goose in my flock. Here are Chuckie, Lucy, Lola and Lilah. I was told they were 3 girls and a boy. Only time will tell.

And here is Penny with the goslings. She has really taken a liking to them

Hello! I've been browsing around for quite some time. This is my first time owning geese. I am learning as I go and this site has been helpful in learning all there is to know. Here are some pictures of my geese.

This is Penny (who I think might be a gander but was told was a female out of my pair.)

After we lost Penny's partner, I decided to get her some friends so she wouldn't be the only goose in my flock. Here are Chuckie, Lucy, Lola and Lilah. I was told they were 3 girls and a boy. Only time will tell.

Welcome to BYC. and I have to say those pics are precious it's so sweet Penny has already taken to the goslings. You have a very nice flock. Sorry for your loss of Penny's mate.

Penny is beautiful! She may be hen, especially how she is sitting for the new flock mates. Lovely goslings also. I am so sorry to read about her mate. You made the right choice, they do need flock mates if at all possible.
This is "WeeWee", a brown Chinese and a real pet. You can see how she is sitting for this little gosling, and he was not hatched by her. He was hatched by an incubator and this was his first visit with the flock. Goose hens just seem to naturally mother goslings. Gee, my gander is strutting about being "Dad", but not really sitting for him like my goose hen.

Back
Top Bottom