The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Wow! Thank you! Those punnet squares were incredibly helpful! I guess splash to splash = 100% splash. Easy enough
smile.png

Here are 5 barred project chicks.Hatched 3 last week.Due to barring being sex linked and the cockerel having 1 copy any without the white head spot are pullets.Large head spots are cockerels and small spots pullet.Just like barred rocks.
They are so cute! How do you get barred chicks, what are they crossed with?

Barred rock.Second generation.Trying for slate legs.Got some in first generation.Difficult to get slate.I do not believe impossible.

What is the difference between slate and grey? Slate and black? Does the leg color differ between standard Ameraucana colors?

My blacks seem to have darker legs than my blues, I don't know why. The blues have the blueish grey legs that I've always heard referred to as slate. The blacks look more like Australorp leg color. Both colors are still very young, so I have yet to see what their leg color will be as they get older.

What is the difference between slate and grey? Slate and black? Does the leg color differ between standard Ameraucana colors?

My blacks seem to have darker legs than my blues, I don't know why. The blues have the blueish grey legs that I've always heard referred to as slate. The blacks look more like Australorp leg color. Both colors are still very young, so I have yet to see what their leg color will be as they get older.
Ameraucanas should have slate.Light or dark varies mostly due to the color variety.Black allowed on blacks and will probably be allowed on lavender.A heated debate on barred,cuckoo,and mottled last year because of this.These genes turn slate to spotted.Oddly no objections to chocolate legs on chocolate.I started the barred project because it was said by some to be impossible to have slate legs on a barred.I have seen pics of barred oliver eggers with slate legs so I did not believe impossible.There is a linkage that must be broken for this to occur.I will be setting up a second pen for barred soon.Plan to offer them for sale in the hatching egg thread when ready.They will be available for a short time.Trying to get more breeders for the project.

Do you have pics of your adolescent/adult birds? I am going to breed my barred rocks with my black Ameracuana roo. I really don't know what to expect (re: what I am doing!) but I thought it would be an interesting project. I figured that someone else was already doing something similar glad to have run into you! Any advice you can offer would be appreciated!

Do you have pics of your adolescent/adult birds? I am going to breed my barred rocks with my black Ameracuana roo. I really don't know what to expect (re: what I am doing!) but I thought it would be an interesting project. I figured that someone else was already doing something similar glad to have run into you! Any advice you can offer would be appreciated!

Barring is sex linked.Using A black rooster over barred hens all pullets will be black all cockerels barred [black with white headspot].Cockerels will have only 1 barring gene.If you use the opposite combo a barred rock over black hens all chicks are barred.Cockerels 1 barring gene.Just like the pic.

I was talking to a old farmer some days ago, and he found it very intresting that so much of the ameraucana standard is based off of color, and that the actual shape, laying ability, health, ect were all secondary traits. I have noticed with a lot of ameraucanas, that they're not as healthy, and I wonder if it is because of this? I have all EEs, the one hen that could pass off as an ameraucana happens to lay brown eggs ( even though both parent carried the blue egg gene) and the other three were feed store ''araucanas'' All these have been healthy, but my experiance with pure, show quality ameraucanas has been horrible. I'm starting to think it is because so many breeders are only breeding for looks, that they forget what is important. Any thoughts on this?

Back
Top Bottom