The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Good morning all. Started collecting silver eggs yesterday. Had my hens in with my roo for several days. Hoping to get at least a dozen to incubate. Very excited.

If you can, would love to see a photo of those eggs
smile.png

I am just a beginner and I have some questions. I have now three sets of Wheaten hens and roosters Bred together what color of chicks can I expect ? What is the Mendelian break down of the color genetics on these chickens .Do they follow the Medallion model well? I also have a Bercheron rooster that is grey with great carrage good blue coloring which is a dark grey Blue Golden chest and back and silver neck feathers. .What color will he produce?

I am just a beginner and I have some questions. I have now three sets of Wheaten hens and roosters Bred together what color of chicks can I expect ? What is the Mendelian break down of the color genetics on these chickens .Do they follow the Medallion model well? I also have a Bercheron rooster that is grey with great carrage good blue coloring which is a dark grey Blue Golden chest and back and silver neck feathers. .What color will he produce?

Bercheron? Do you mean birchen? What are you breeding him to? Confused.

If you bred Wheaten to Wheaten, you should get all Wheaten chicks, there will be slight variation in the shades of the browns, the patterning, etc. If you bred Blue Wheaten to Wheaten, here are some Wheaten genetics for you...

Wheaten x Wheaten : 100% Wheaten
Wheaten x Blue Wheaten : 50% Wheaten 50% Blue Wheaten
Blue Wheaten x Blue Wheaten : 50% Blue Wheaten 25% Wheaten 25% Splash Wheaten
Wheaten x Splash Wheaten : 100% Blue Wheaten
Blue Wheaten x Splash Wheaten : 50% Blue Wheaten 50% Splash Wheaten
Splash Wheaten x Splash Wheaten : 100% Splash Wheaten

Pretty much Blue genetics.

Keep in mind that Wheaten hens look different than Wheaten roosters even when they carry the same genetics.

If you breed Blues to Wheatens, pullets will be solid (not sure of exact color), cockerels will be confused (ie you will not produce Blue Wheatens with F1 crossing).

...and that's all I know about it.

Last edited:
You have helped so much. Thank you . It was very kind of you to respond and give me these facts. As I said I am a newbie and did misspell the name for that color. Generally if I can pronounce it I can spell it but I have never heard it pronounced. What is his genetic make up to produce such a variety of beautiful colors.

You have helped so much. Thank you . It was very kind of you to respond and give me these facts. As I said I am a newbie and did misspell the name for that color. Generally if I can pronounce it I can spell it but I have never heard it pronounced. What is his genetic make up to produce such a variety of beautiful colors.

Somebody posted this link for me and it was very helpful regarding color. I don't know if they will have the exact color combinations you are cooking for, but their are many people well-versed in genetics that have contributed information to the thread. I haven't read it but there is a book called Genetics of Chicken Colours that is basically a "chicken genetics for dummies" book and many people say it has been very helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/73357/color-genes-punnett-squares

Somebody posted this link for me and it was very helpful regarding color. I don't know if they will have the exact color combinations you are cooking for, but their are many people well-versed in genetics that have contributed information to the thread. I haven't read it but there is a book called Genetics of Chicken Colours that is basically a "chicken genetics for dummies" book and many people say it has been very helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/73357/color-genes-punnett-squares

NICE thread!! Thanks for posting this.

Just took some chicks out to the brooder.Thought some of you might find what I am doing useful.It has been unually cold and the brooder heater runs all night trying to maintain temp.I put a broody hen in with the chicks.No losses with her in there.Put her in at night with no lights on during the night.Heater still on.By morning they know each other.If you add more chicks the next week be careful as not all hens will accept new chicks.She may attack.I add at night until I know my broody.She also teaches them to eat and drink.She will call them to food and water.They can be reluctant to move away from the heat in this weather.I no longer brood early chicks in the basement DW doesn't like it.

Just took some chicks out to the brooder.Thought some of you might find what I am doing useful.It has been unually cold and the brooder heater runs all night trying to maintain temp.I put a broody hen in with the chicks.No losses with her in there.Put her in at night with no lights on during the night.Heater still on.By morning they know each other.If you add more chicks the next week be careful as not all hens will accept new chicks.She may attack.I add at night until I know my broody.She also teaches them to eat and drink.She will call them to food and water.They can be reluctant to move away from the heat in this weather.I no longer brood early chicks in the basement DW doesn't like it.
So were any of these chicks silver LF? I am going to have to get busy and find a cock bird.

In my limited experience it has been so much easier and beneficial to the chicks if you have a broody hen to care for them. We have only done this once. We had a broody hen hatch out 2 chicks and we added 8 more the same day her chicks hatched. I didn't do it at night, but she still accepted them. We moved her into our brooder in the garage with the heat lamp and all 10 chicks. It was so much fun watching her teach them how to do everything. We were also able to move the whole brood out the coup a lot sooner than we would have if they didn't have the protection of a broody hen. She protected her chicks and slowly integrated them into the rest of the flock. This group of 10 has been a much healthier bunch of chicks. No pasty butts, no nothing.

Back
Top Bottom