The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Yay very exciting! Lavenders are so pretty. I am going to candle my day 7 eggs tomorrow. Hoping they are fertile and developing! I also think the poop is normal if it is that color.

I love it =) It's so sweet!
fl.gif
for your eggs!

What does everyone use to identify their chicks after they hatch? I have heard of people using different color zip ties when they are little. Does anyone have any suggestions on what method has worked best for them?

Personally, I toe-punch my chicks according to the number of the egg they hatch from. The number is written on the egg at the time it is collected from the breeding pen. I then use this for my records. Never have to worry about a band falling off or any such thing.

God Bless,

Personally, I toe-punch my chicks according to the number of the egg they hatch from. The number is written on the egg at the time it is collected from the breeding pen. I then use this for my records. Never have to worry about a band falling off or any such thing.

God Bless,

I would love to toe punch, since it is one big stress when they're young instead of all those little stresses every single time you have to change their bands (every 1-2 weeks). But I've been worried about something getting stuck in the hole and ripping, holes healing up (I hear this is why you never have a group that is identified by having no holes), and infections. Have you ever experienced any of these complications? Is it still worth it?

I would love to toe punch, since it is one big stress when they're young instead of all those little stresses every single time you have to change their bands (every 1-2 weeks). But I've been worried about something getting stuck in the hole and ripping, holes healing up (I hear this is why you never have a group that is identified by having no holes), and infections. Have you ever experienced any of these complications? Is it still worth it?
I use a ear notcher for pigs.Most farm stores carry them.Remove as much of the web as you want.No hole to heal over plus I was always losing those tiny toe punches.

Here is a pic of some blue wheaten LF chicks.Got them at the sale barn friday.I trust my own judgement on these.I needed them and they are real ameraucana.

I don't think it's all that "big" of a stress to the Day Olds. Likely less than the hatching experience itself. I've clipped dewclaws from my Beagles (when they've been born with them) shortly after being born and it's probably similar. I don't think they feel a thing. Sometimes there isn't even any blood. I sliced my own leg open one time with a fillet knife and didn't even notice it for awhile.

Yes, they can get stuff (their own feces mostly I 'spose) stuck in the hole. Never had a problem with the hole ripping or infection. If something gets stuck in the hole, it'll come out on it's own with time. Sometimes if I get in a hurry, I don't get the punch deep enough and it pretty much removes the whole web rather than making a hole. The key is to press on the bottom of the foot so they open their toes wide and get the punch in towards the back. Then take your thumbnail and scrape off the skin that protrudes upward. That'll leave a nice clean hole.

Is it worth it? Like I said, it's all I use and have used for years.

God Bless,

Hatched 20 second generation laced project chicks today.Culled 6 for cushion combs.Mostly black as I expected,1 or 2 combs i was unsure of.

This one has a cushion comb.Wide and no rows.Fairly easy to spot.

Congrats on the chicks! You are trying to get GL Ameraucana's? That would be beautiful!! It was so weird today, I let my older chicks out today for the first time, and when I was putting them back in the brooder, I noticed that three of my chicks had a scrape right above their beak, I wiped the spots clean, and but petroleum jelly on them. I hope it heals, any idea what it could be from? and did I treat it properly?

Back
Top Bottom