The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Cushion combs can take on many shapes strawberry and walnut come to mind.To breed true you need 2 copies of rose and 2 of pea.Multiple alleles.confusing at first.
Do Silkies have a form of a cushion comb? What breed that you added brought in the genes necessary to create this type of comb?

I'm hoping to post pictures later of my hatchery-bought Ameraucana. The description in their magazine said that their chicks are a cross between Araucana and Ameraucana- does this mean that my little chick can't be considered 100% Ameraucana? Despite what the Standard says, she looks like the prettiest bird I've ever seen. I did some research, and the brown ones look almost identical to her.

Also, what do EE, Amie, and SOP mean? I'm fairly new at this...
jumpy.gif

I'm hoping to post pictures later of my hatchery-bought Ameraucana. The description in their magazine said that their chicks are a cross between Araucana and Ameraucana- does this mean that my little chick can't be considered 100% Ameraucana? Despite what the Standard says, she looks like the prettiest bird I've ever seen. I did some research, and the brown ones look almost identical to her.
EE=easter egger,Amie =Ameraucana,Sop= standard of perfection.You researched the wrong sites.Nothing that color in the standard.You have hatchery EEs.Very hardy layers of lots of blue eggs.

jumpy.gif

jumpy.gif

Your birds are Easter Eggers - that's what EE stands for. Amie is a short cut term for an Ameraucana - which your birds are related to - but are not. They probably aren't even a cross between an Ameraucana and an Auracana - that is a mis-understanding on how Easter Eggers are made. For a more accurate description see here: http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/2/2-3/John_W_Blehm.html SOP is Standard Of Perfection - and it is what separates the Breeds from the Mixes... and the Show Birds from the Culls. Come over and join us on the Easter Eggers thread - they are wonderful birds, but they are not Ameraucanas. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/273489/the-ee-braggers-thread/10600

Last edited:
I candled today. Of the 8 I set, only 2 are fertile. I'll try to get a pic soon.
That is really frustrating. Fertility in my own flock declined for a couple months and is now on the rise again. I have 15 in the incubator right now. I candled on day 8. (We had company so I was a little late this time). This is my first time trying to hatch Ameraucana eggs and some of them were very difficult to see inside of. I couldn't even see where the air cell was! I had one or two that looked infertile, one possible blood ring (afraid to cull that one and open it. I did that last time and their was a 10 day old chicken staring up at me, *sigh*), a hand full of unknowns and a couple I could see some definite veining in.

What settings do you use on your camera to take a picture of an egg while candleing? I have had trouble getting a clear picture when I have tried in the past.

jumpy.gif

Hi there and welcome to the thread! Your beautiful bird is most likely an EE (Easter Egger). There is a lot of controversy over hatcheries selling Easter Eggers under the title of Ameraucanas. It is very confusing to people new to the breed. I will do my best to differentiate these three "blue-egg-laying-breeds."

Araucana: A rumpless, tufted, blue egg-laying bird that originated from South America.

Ameraucana: A bearded blue egg laying bird, with slate legs that only comes in 8 approved colors. These colors are: Buff, Silver, Blue, Blue-Wheaten, Black, White, Wheaten, and Brown-Red. Any bird that does not meet the standard is classified as a non-standard bird. (Some people insist on calling them Easter Eggers - this is where all the controversy comes in).

Easter Egger (EE): Since an Easter Egger is not technically a breed and does not have a standard you could deem any chicken regardless of genetic parentage as such. Most Easter Eggers are bearded, with varying shades of green legs and may lay any color egg under the rainbow (hence the name) and be any color in feathering. This is a catch-all term used to describe non-standard Ameraucanas and any Ameraucana cross breeds.

I hope that helps a little bit. Feel free to post any other questions you have on this thread!

Back
Top Bottom