The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

I have a mixed flock of free ranging birds right now. I want all of my birds to be able to free range everyday including my new Ameraucanas. Since I won't be breeding them until next year, is it okay to let them run with the rest of the chickens and separate them later? They have leg bands on for identification. What do you guys do/think?

This is ok, just make sure to seperate them about three weeks before you start hatching, this makes sure the eggs a fertalized by the right rooster. We have 6 roosters right now, and this number will be getting larger when I start breeding next year lol. Do you plan to breed only ameraucanas, or other breeds as well? We usually free range ours every other day. I plan on breeding blcms, ams, and EEs for starts. I have two ameraucana hens and a roo to start with, and two blcm s and a roo to start with. I also have three ee hens I'll be breeding with. My goal for them is to create astrain that lays only blue eggs, and huge cheeks =)))

I have a mixed flock of free ranging birds right now. I want all of my birds to be able to free range everyday including my new Ameraucanas. Since I won't be breeding them until next year, is it okay to let them run with the rest of the chickens and separate them later? They have leg bands on for identification. What do you guys do/think?

I'm in same situation except I am worried about my current big JG Roos hurting the Ams Roos or even the small hens breeding them. I currently have 19 black JG hens with 3 Roos, adding 2 dozen blue and splash chicks end of may along with 15 straight run BBS Ams chicks. I have a huge coop for the JGs with low roost and large nesting boxes made for their size. Building a second smaller coop and run for all the chicks to live in until they are large enough to free range with the adults. Was thinking of the smaller coop to be for the Ams, with size appropriate roost and boxes. Will not separate for breeding until next spring, then will alternate who gets to free range each day. My huge JG Roos are great protectors but do y'all think they will hurt the Ams???? Should I keep them separated all the time??

I have a similar plan as of right now will have a master pen and run for all the hens and hopefully a couple co-existing breeder roos and then seperation pens to pull for in the fall or late winter to start a small breeding program with my Ameraucana, OE, and Norwegian Jaerhon then will just keep the layers in the master. I hope it will work please keep me posted on how it goes and tips! Thanks :)

I think my Ameraucanas are going to have to be penned up next year through the spring. Our layer flock it too large to stay in the coup and their run 24/7.
sad.png
I would like for them to free range but I don't think it is going to happen. All my birds that free range seem to be so much healthier than birds that don't. My flock just hangs out all day and everyone behaves themselves roosters and hens alike. I'm sure I will begin to see some stress issues if they are penned up.

One of my supposedly "splash" chicks seems to be feathering in a pale blue/lavender color. The egg came from a splash x splash pen so it should be a splash right?

It should, some splashes have a dark undertone to the color though, It seems that if you took the splotches away, you would get a lavender. That, or she is breeding blues to blues, and was just guessing.

I think my Ameraucanas are going to have to be penned up next year through the spring. Our layer flock it too large to stay in the coup and their run 24/7.
sad.png
I would like for them to free range but I don't think it is going to happen. All my birds that free range seem to be so much healthier than birds that don't. My flock just hangs out all day and everyone behaves themselves roosters and hens alike. I'm sure I will begin to see some stress issues if they are penned up.

I understand about your laying flock, my chickens have 5 sq ft each in the coop, and 50sq ft each in the run, and they still pace all do to get out! lol

Last edited:
Does anyone know genetically how the lavender color was/is created?
It is a recessive gene.A mutation like all color genes.Works on black turning it to lav.Also lightens red and buff since some black pigment is involved in those colors.If you mean how it got into the ameraucana breed.It was borrowed from old English game bantams and Belgian D'anvers bantams and the large fowl were bred up from the bantams.John Blehm started both.

Back
Top Bottom