The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

It is a recessive gene.A mutation like all color genes.Works on black turning it to lav.Also lightens red and buff since some black pigment is involved in those colors.If you mean how it got into the ameraucana breed.It was borrowed from old English game bantams and Belgian D'anvers bantams and the large fowl were bred up from the bantams.John Blehm started both.
So this breeders splash birds are from her blacks. Would it be possible that a splash bird could have lavender coloring? Or is it just an oddly colored splash? I guess I should post a picture.
smile.png

So this breeders splash birds are from her blacks. Would it be possible that a splash bird could have lavender coloring? Or is it just an oddly colored splash? I guess I should post a picture.
smile.png
Most likely a oddly colored splash.Lavender does not make splash.2 copies of blue make splash.

I purchased 2 White Ameraucana hen. Would have liked to buy the whole flock of 7 hens and 1 rooster but didn't have enough cash on me at the time. ................................................................
.........................................................................................................................................................................
.........................................................................................................................................................................

My question is: If i use my Black Ameraucana ( does have a little off color in the feathers on his neck), would I be able to breed Black and White I know not blk/ wht as in mottled), Ameruacana's from this mating?

I purchased 2 White Ameraucana hen. Would have liked to buy the whole flock of 7 hens and 1 rooster but didn't have enough cash on me at the time. ................................................................ ......................................................................................................................................................................... ......................................................................................................................................................................... My question is: If i use my Black Ameraucana ( does have a little off color in the feathers on his neck), would I be able to breed Black and White I know not blk/ wht as in mottled), Ameruacana's from this mating?
Yes.Breed back to the parent colors.You will get some good whites in the second generation.The blacks will most likely continue to have off color on the males.

Quote: Originally Posted by draye

I purchased 2 White Ameraucana hen. Would have liked to buy the whole flock of 7 hens and 1 rooster but didn't have enough cash on me at the time. ................................................................ ......................................................................................................................................................................... ......................................................................................................................................................................... My question is: If i use my Black Ameraucana ( does have a little off color in the feathers on his neck), would I be able to breed Black and White I know not blk/ wht as in mottled), Ameruacana's from this mating?
Yes.Breed back to the parent colors.You will get some good whites in the second generation.The blacks will most likely continue to have off color on the males. xoxoxoxxoxoxoxo
xoxoxoxoxoxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoxoxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoxox

Quoted from jerryse:
Yes.Breed back to the parent colors.You will get some good whites in the second generation.The blacks will most likely continue to have off color on the males.xxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooxooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks.

Last edited:
The little blue chick I hatched recently has the most retched personality. Every time I put my hand in the brooder it attacks it and starts trying to peck me! Crazy little chick must have a death wish. I wonder if it is going to end up being a rooster?

Quick question for all you knowledgeable breeders out there. Are splash Ameraucanas supposed to have slate colored legs? Since there aren't an APA approved color variety I wasn't sure.

One of my supposedly "splash" chicks seems to be feathering in a pale blue/lavender color. The egg came from a splash x splash pen so it should be a splash right?
Sometimes splash chicks will feather in a light pale blue color; not looking splash at all by the time they have all their feathers.

What color are the legs on the splash? They look pretty light in the photo and the black chick with the yellow leg band appears to have no muff and beard. Could just be the angle the photo was taken.

Quick question for all you knowledgeable breeders out there. Are splash Ameraucanas supposed to have slate colored legs? Since there aren't an APA approved color variety I wasn't sure.
Slate on every color but black on blacks allowed.There has been some debate on this for some project colors but so far slate is the rule

Back
Top Bottom