The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

The little blue chick I hatched recently has the most retched personality. Every time I put my hand in the brooder it attacks it and starts trying to peck me! Crazy little chick must have a death wish. I wonder if it is going to end up being a rooster?

I had a chick do that, a little easter egger, was set on killing my hand. She is now nine weeks, and most defiantly a female
wink.png
as for splash chicks, everything I've read has said they should have slate legs.

Hi I have a question I hatched some chicks that are supposed to be wheaten and blue wheaten ameracaunas what color are thier legs supposed to be they are 10 days old thanks

My AM got hit with cocci, and I'm treating it with sulmet, since it's about impossible to find corid around here, but now, the chicks are shedding intestinal lining in their droppings, it isn't bloody poop. It looks exactly like the other bird's poop when they shed it. Is it from the sulmet? Should I rotate from the medicine to fresh water? Thanks for the advice!

I have a beautiful black Ameracauna hen named Bertha she is great, we got her from an amazing local breeder as well as 6 chicks which are now almost 3 weeks old and in the brooder. Should I let her sit on her eggs, or should I see if she would accept the chicks? I don't have a roo so she had to have gotten "knocked up" before we got her 10 days ago. I'm assuming the roo was an Ameracauna. I cracked two eggs they are fertile. Any suggestions?

Sometimes splash chicks will feather in a light pale blue color; not looking splash at all by the time they have all their feathers.

What color are the legs on the splash? They look pretty light in the photo and the black chick with the yellow leg band appears to have no muff and beard. Could just be the angle the photo was taken.
I picked up the eggs myself from an ABC breeder that has Paul smith lines. I was able to see the parent stock in person. Her blacks were by far the best. She is trying to improve her blues using the blacks. The lack of muffs/beard must have been the angle of the photo. The pictures were taken the day after they hatched and some of them were a little "crusty" still. The legs on the splash look yellowish to me. I just looked at Jerry's post below yours and I guess that is not the correct color.
sad.png

Here are pictures on my two splash chicks. It's kind of hard to see their legs. What color would you describe them as, yellow or skin colored?

The chick above if the one that has pale blue feathers growing in.

Last edited:
My AM got hit with cocci, and I'm treating it with sulmet, since it's about impossible to find corid around here, but now, the chicks are shedding intestinal lining in their droppings, it isn't bloody poop. It looks exactly like the other bird's poop when they shed it. Is it from the sulmet? Should I rotate from the medicine to fresh water? Thanks for the advice!
How many days do you have them on it? I am not a proponent of treating with drugs for cocci, I am more into prevention. Do you know if you dig a plug of dirt from your yard and give it to them at hatch and replace it weekly you can help prevent outbreaks? It helps build natural immunities. Get them on the ground at day three even if it is only for a few minutes in the sun.
I have a beautiful black Ameracauna hen named Bertha she is great, we got her from an amazing local breeder as well as 6 chicks which are now almost 3 weeks old and in the brooder. Should I let her sit on her eggs, or should I see if she would accept the chicks? I don't have a roo so she had to have gotten "knocked up" before we got her 10 days ago. I'm assuming the roo was an Ameracauna. I cracked two eggs they are fertile. Any suggestions?
If she is laying eggs she is not broody. Even if she is broody the chicks are to old for her to accept and they are to old to accept her. Hatch out her eggs in an incubator.
Quote: Usually

This their second day on it, they are already perkier, and eating, I've just noticed 3 intestinal linings in the coop. (there are twelve chicks) I have never dealt with cocci before, so I really didn't know much about it... I do now!!! lol

Back
Top Bottom