The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

How do you keep the Roos from fighting? I only have 3. 1 Brown Leghorn and 2 Americauan/EE. The Leghorn and one of the EE have decided to have a Saturday afternoon fight. Last week I discovered them and broke it up they were still both bloody messes. Today I didn't know it was going on. I went out and the EE in my avatar was unrecognizable. He is my favorite and will be staying. I thought about leaving the other 2 out of the barn tonight, but we have storms coming in so I caved at dark and turned them in. I threatened the Leghorn with freezer camp. I had to assist both of them up on the roost. These 3 grew up together and I like them all, but I don't want them hurting each other. Since They got to finish their fight do you think it is over now? If not does anyone want a beautiful Brown Leghorn?

I have plenty of roosters, and they're has always been a top rooster, they have had their fights, but it's usually pretty peaceful. They are better when they are free ranging though. They will probably be more peaceful now that the lower rooster has gotten beaten up.

Last edited:
Generally it is pretty hard to keep them from fighting if you have breeds that fight. A tendency to fight is also a tendency to be a good protector. Cockerels are making there place at this age. They will and should settle down threw the summer. They can and do kill each other, but, that is rare.

I have a few roosters running together - the one year old mark seems to be when they are the meanest to each other. Mine finished the fight and now the looser runs when the winner comes around - and the winner doesn't attack the looser any more (I think because he runs). However I don't have leghorns - they may be more like my mother's birds (OEG) - they won't quit until the other rooster is mained or dead (its why they were used as fighting birds). I hope your boys have settled it - let us know how it goes.

I went out to do my morning check late because we are having lots of rain. I let my Quail Belgium D'Anver roos out. They don't mind the rain. They have their own coop and can go in and out as they please. I went to the barn to turn the big guys out. They are more finicky than the others and only one roo went out. Poor Beau wouldn't come down from the roost. I tossed the Leghorn out and closed the door. They can get out of the rain in other places if they choose. I got Beau down and one of his eyes is swollen shut. Is there anything I should do for him? I have the purple woundkote, but was afraid to use it around his eye.

Leghorns aren't used for fighting. They are supposed to be flighty. I guess someone forgot to tell Fog that. I'm in the process of finding him a non freezer home. I have Polish, Silkie, Welsumer, and Jersey Giant chicks now that I bought strait run. Hopefully they will be calm.

Quote:
It looks like your favorite was the low man. I would leave the eye alone - it will heal. Just watch to make sure nobody else is picking on his eye. If he is staying on the roost he will probably be safe. Find a home for your other roosters if you want Beau to be top dog...

Although the leghorns weren't used for fighting, they are a active breed, and they will fight. My EEs were always more mellow - only took one or two tussles then they figured it out.

It looks like your favorite was the low man. I would leave the eye alone - it will heal. Just watch to make sure nobody else is picking on his eye. If he is staying on the roost he will probably be safe. Find a home for your other roosters if you want Beau to be top dog...

Although the leghorns weren't used for fighting, they are a active breed, and they will fight. My EEs were always more mellow - only took one or two tussles then they figured it out.

Wow.. I must have messed up EEs then, Mine are the most dominate, and feisty of my roosters

Poor ol' Beau looks like Rocky. I took my basket of med supplys down and soaked the eye until he can open it. Put teramicin in it and neosporin on his comb and neck. One complete side of his beared and muff is completly gone. He is such a baby he snuggled into the towel I wrapped him in and let me doctor him. The hens aren't bothering him I think they are happy there is only one roo in with them and Beau sure isn't after them today. Both the other Roos are hanging with the cats out of the rain. I noticed Fog has a eye swollen shut too. I'll check on him when the rain stops again. I guess I should have named them different Rocky, Mr T, and Pee Wee Herman are a better fit now days.

The roos were last years chicks that hatched in March so just barely a year old. The hens I got this year point of lay not sure on their exact age. I have 7 hens with them and more in grow out coops. They are in a 320 sqft barn at night and free range during the day. They all stay together and have only been fighting during their time free ranging. That makes me wonder that even if I get a seperate coop for roos will they fight when free ranging. I have other roos chicks I want to work with next year How will I keep them from almost killing each other every time I turn them out.
My two main roosters where bad when they were around year old. We had to run out with a broom to separate them a couple times. Now they pretty much leave each other alone. But it was always just those two. Since they have enough room to avoid each other all the time, one of your roosters may just be more inclined to pick fights.

A few pages back another subscriber asked me if some of my Ameraucana chicks were clean faced. I didn't think any of them were but hadn't looked too closely. When I went out to investigate this I found that 2 of my purebred black chicks (full siblings) are both clean faced or at this point appear to be so. All of the other chicks, blue/black/splash have fluffy little owl faces. I am so confused. I saw this breeders birds in person, everything I saw looked great. Does anyone know if beards and muffs are dominant or recessive? If the hen and rooster were both bearded how did these two chicks come out clean faced? Or could they possibly just be lacking the fluffy down as chicks? I'm inclined to think they aren't going to get beards at all. I hope I am wrong.

A few pages back another subscriber asked me if some of my Ameraucana chicks were clean faced. I didn't think any of them were but hadn't looked too closely. When I went out to investigate this I found that 2 of my purebred black chicks (full siblings) are both clean faced or at this point appear to be so. All of the other chicks, blue/black/splash have fluffy little owl faces. I am so confused. I saw this breeders birds in person, everything I saw looked great. Does anyone know if beards and muffs are dominant or recessive? If the hen and rooster were both bearded how did these two chicks come out clean faced? Or could they possibly just be lacking the fluffy down as chicks? I'm inclined to think they aren't going to get beards at all. I hope I am wrong.

Beard and muffs are dominant, but, to get a full beard, the bird needs two copies of the gene, so, if both parents had only one copy of the gene. There would be a chance of beardless chicks. Its the same with egg color. I have a ameraucana that lays brown, even though all of the breeder's birds layed blue.

Back
Top Bottom