The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

looks just like my girl. Is she a paint then?
She is dominate white one copy and black.I have been working on dominate white and using black to improve them.I have been hatching some pure white chicks from her and a recessive white rooster.I considered breeding them as paint.Near as I can find out paint is a form of dominate white and black or blue.So yes I guess she is paint.

ACK!!!! My coop has mites!!! My ameraucana was acting strangely, but I couldn't find anything. Well, I was cleaning it and saw little bugs scatter. sigh. Well, It was late so I dusted the coop and the other coop, and ALL of the birds. I put new bedding in both coops. Tomorrow I will scrub it with flea shampoo, and spray it with insecticide, as well as dust the birds again. Should that do it? lol

ACK!!!! My coop has mites!!! My ameraucana was acting strangely, but I couldn't find anything. Well, I was cleaning it and saw little bugs scatter. sigh. Well, It was late so I dusted the coop and the other coop, and ALL of the birds. I put new bedding in both coops. Tomorrow I will scrub it with flea shampoo, and spray it with insecticide, as well as dust the birds again. Should that do it? lol

Ivomec (ivermectin) would be very affective in eradication of mites. Washing the coop thoroughly with soapy water will help. Please be careful with using insecticides, because they might do more harm to your birds, than help with the problem. Having mites is a terrible experience, and wish you best of luck.

New topic? I've got a six week old Ameraucana that I just added to my flock of 8 2 month old girls. She won't join the rest which I'm guessing is just her getting comfortable with her new surroundings. Until tonight she wouldn't come near me but earlier she jumped out of the coop and when the older girls started chasing her she flapped right up into my arms (rather violently). I got her to calm down, and gave her some meal worm treats. She started climbing all over me, perching on my shoulder and tweeting really loudly. Then she began to bury her head in my arm/side. What is that about? Is this typical of adding a new bird to an existing flock? How long does it typically take for new birds to be accepted into the flock?

New topic? I've got a six week old Ameraucana that I just added to my flock of 8 2 month old girls. She won't join the rest which I'm guessing is just her getting comfortable with her new surroundings. Until tonight she wouldn't come near me but earlier she jumped out of the coop and when the older girls started chasing her she flapped right up into my arms (rather violently). I got her to calm down, and gave her some meal worm treats. She started climbing all over me, perching on my shoulder and tweeting really loudly. Then she began to bury her head in my arm/side. What is that about? Is this typical of adding a new bird to an existing flock? How long does it typically take for new birds to be accepted into the flock?
please read these great tips!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/biosecurity-for-the-rest-of-us

Ivomec (ivermectin) would be very affective in eradication of mites. Washing the coop thoroughly with soapy water will help. Please be careful with using insecticides, because they might do more harm to your birds, than help with the problem. Having mites is a terrible experience, and wish you best of luck.

Can't get Ivomec, but the insecticide is permethrin, so little better then other

Well, it's one thing after another, my ameraucana chick ( 6 weeks ) is not acting lethargic, and stiff. I'm wondering if it's from the mites, or her getting too cold last night, already went through cocci, so I don't think it's that. any ideas???

Quote:
Do some research on Ivomec (Ivermectin). I did not have good results with it and I did read something on the internet that said in order to effective the dosage is almost lethal. Permethrins and Pyrethrins were of little help either, Internet says, and so does my personal experience that mites will develop a resistance to both.

I wrote on this fairly extensively on the ABC Forum so I ain't doing it again. Suffice it to say that after 3 years of battling mites, I haven't had a problem in over 7 months now. Not one bug anywhere. Prior to that, I'd get the beat back but never eliminated and within two weeks I'd have birds totally infested again. I actually lost a couple good birds to mites and it get REAL OLD having to treat a couple hundred birds every single weekend!

God Bless,

Back
Top Bottom