The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

Do some research on Ivomec (Ivermectin). I did not have good results with it and I did read something on the internet that said in order to effective the dosage is almost lethal. Permethrins and Pyrethrins were of little help either, Internet says, and so does my personal experience that mites will develop a resistance to both.

I wrote on this fairly extensively on the ABC Forum so I ain't doing it again. Suffice it to say that after 3 years of battling mites, I haven't had a problem in over 7 months now. Not one bug anywhere. Prior to that, I'd get the beat back but never eliminated and within two weeks I'd have birds totally infested again. I actually lost a couple good birds to mites and it get REAL OLD having to treat a couple hundred birds every single weekend!

God Bless,

How did you get rid of them????

How did you get rid of them????
Several people report using frontline fipronil is the ingredient.Spelling may be off.Generic is cheaper.I buy it at Wall-Mart Adams is the brand I think.About $20.00 for a 3 pack of the large dog size.Put a few drops on the skin.There are some posts on the Ameraucana Breeders Club website about this.

Do some research on Ivomec (Ivermectin). I did not have good results with it and I did read something on the internet that said in order to effective the dosage is almost lethal. Permethrins and Pyrethrins were of little help either, Internet says, and so does my personal experience that mites will develop a resistance to both.

I wrote on this fairly extensively on the ABC Forum so I ain't doing it again. Suffice it to say that after 3 years of battling mites, I haven't had a problem in over 7 months now. Not one bug anywhere. Prior to that, I'd get the beat back but never eliminated and within two weeks I'd have birds totally infested again. I actually lost a couple good birds to mites and it get REAL OLD having to treat a couple hundred birds every single weekend!

God Bless,

Thank you for the information. I had to deal with mites only on one occasion, which they came with the new birds I have purchased. As per the suggestion of experienced breeders, I gave bath to all the birds, after drying, I used Pour On Ivomec-ivermectin- repeated the treatment within 10 days, and performed miracles for me. This was 2yrs. ago, and since then, did not have mites again. As well as using the drops on the birds(3drops under each wing & on the back side), everything was washed with soapy water, and all the bedding replaced.
I am sorry that you had such a bad experience with the mites. Some of the fellow breeders had terrible experiences, and I've heard the damage they caused. Since my experience, I make sure to change all their bedding every other week which I think is helping to keep these pests away.

Well, just spent four hours cleaning and spraying the coop. The cleaning took three hours, forty- five minutes, the spraying took all of three minutes lol. I'm hoping this is the last time I'll have to do this! I sprayed all the crevices in the coop, and the legs, nest box, and ramp. The whole coop got power washed, then scrubbed with a flea soap, inside and out. On a different note, my chickens do NOT like this warm weather! It's 80' out and they are all panting. Kinda feel bad for them!

Back
Top Bottom