The Ameraucana Thread: Where everything and anything about the breed can be discussed (APA, Non-Stan

I have 6 Ameraucana chicks, 4 red brown and 2 black (with some gorgeous iridescent green) 10-11 weeks old. I am wondering why 3 have cheeks and a beard, 2 have just the cheeks and 1 doesn't have either cheeks or a beard. They all have pea combs and gray-green legs.

Please post pictures. I don't think I have ever seen a picture of a real Red Brown Ameraucana. They are very rare.

I am concerned about the gray-green legs though - Ameraucanas must have white skin - not yellow. They should have slate/blue legs by this age... I wonder if you have Easter Eggers? Check what color skin they have on the bottoms of their feet.

I also have never heard of an Ameraucana that has cheeks but not the beard, those genes are linked.

I am interested to see what you have.

Where did you get them?

My favorite part of the season.Broodies with chicks.5 and 1 still trying.6 for 6.Silver bantam.This was a test mating.Checking to see who was throwing off markings.None here.I found out it was 1 rooster and he went to a sale.
Beautiful chicks with nice clean markings.

Please post pictures.  I don't think I have ever seen a picture of a real Red Brown Ameraucana.  They are very rare.

I am concerned about the gray-green legs though - Ameraucanas must have white skin - not yellow.  They should have slate/blue legs by this age... I wonder if you have Easter Eggers?  Check what color skin they have on the bottoms of their feet.

I also have never heard of an Ameraucana that has cheeks but not the beard, those genes are linked.

I am interested to see what you have.

Where did you get them?

My aunt got them for me from a reputable feed store here in Massachusetts. I will get some pics and post them here in a little while. I will also post some pics of them when I first got them.

Quote:
Um.. I just looked up pictures of the Red Brown Ameraucana chicks - they are black and white. They also apparently are mostly black until they get their adult feathers in..

I have never ever seen a feed store sell real Ameraucanas. They are Americanas (note the I) and they are crosses/mixes that the hatchery uses to sell blue egg layers. The Hatcheries tell the feed store what they are called - but they are not the breed "Ameraucana". Unless your feed store buys them from an Ameraucana breeder and charged you $15 a chick, what you got is what we call Easter Eggers on this site.

If what you want is the blue eggs, you have it. I love my Easter Eggers, they lay a lot of nice blue eggs. Come join us over here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/273489/the-ee-braggers-thread/11470#post_11317418
If what you wanted were show birds.. sorry
hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom